7 Posts

Britannia» Forums » Variants

Subject: Ireland rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
- -
msg tools
Well as the name says it: Ireland.

I decided to make Ireland, because i dont know about these expansions, are they really gonna even exists and such and cause i can use some really cool printers for this

But what have to do for Ireland?

Please when you answer, put the number before your answer. Example:
If you want to say, There would be whale in the topleft corner, write it like this:

1) There would be Whale in the topleft corner.

Board Area
With Ireland, the board area would be 3x3 so 9 pieces. The left top corner would be empty, but there would put Timeline for Ireland and new Nations list and new Population Increase or just leave the whole block away.

As you can see Ireland is really close to Britain in some places, like Galloway, Dalriada, Skye, Dyfed and maybe Gwynedd also, there could be straits. You also some Island between Ireland and Britain: Isle of Man. Dunno if it is gonna included, but lets look at it..

The Ireland Area
Ireland divided into a 4 Provinces and Provinces are divided into counties.

1 Leinster
2 Munster
3 Connacht
4 Ulster
Because there is 32 Counties is Ireland, the area cannot be shared into that much.

I continue this when i get back to computer again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- -
msg tools
2) Nations

Okay heres some Nations information. Keep posting more info.

Now it is 16 Nations and 4 Team Red Blue Yellow and Green.
But i think it should be 1 team or 2 more, like Black and Brown. OR, there is Boats, Shields, Lances and Axes, then there would be example. Sword or Helmet for each Colour..

Yellow Team
Romans
Romano-British
Scots
starts also in Ireland, in the North most likely
Norwegians
Dubliners
wouldnt start in Ireland, but could have a Major Invasion in turn 12 in which they only score for occupying Irish areas.

Red TeamBrigantes
Irish
Saxons
Norsemens

Green Team
Welsh
Caledonians
Danes
Jutes

Blue Team
Angles
Belgae
Picts
Normans

Some suggestions for new Nations:

Lagin

The green area is the first of one of four Ireland provinces, Leinster (in Irish Lagin)
So the Lagins Victory Points i think, would be that area, and that area would be Lagins objective in game. More about that area in Game Board section.

Ulaid

The second of four provinces of Ireland, Ulster, the Northern Ireland.
As below Ulaids would get points for that area. More about that area also in section 1).

Dal Cais

Dal cais lived in the North of the Munster ( the green area in picture) so that would be theyr objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- -
msg tools
3) Timeline

Dont know much about this either. How many invanders and where?
This Timeline part includes: Invanders, boat movements, raidings, major invasions, years and possible other Irish information.

The Timeline is "same" I-XVI and years 45Bc-1085.
There maybe nothing special certain rounds like I or II, but if there was nothing, then it remains empty.

Timeline

I 45-60

II 60-100

III 100-250
Gaelic forces invasion around 100?

IV 250-340

V 340-430

Scoring Round

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2) Nations

The Scots also start in Ireland, in the North most likely. The Dubliners wouldn't start in Ireland, but I guess they could have a Major Invasion in turn 12 in which they only score for occupying Irish areas.

Another issue is keeping inappropriate nations out of Ireland. You don't want anyone with Boats being able to invade. I also think you might want to split the Irish into several factions. Ideally you want one faction of each colour to have an Irish interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's already an Ireland variant published at web Grognards - have you looked at that?

One of the problems that I think you'll likely find is that it's hard to inject an "urgency" into an Irish expansion for the game. Unless there are significant points for every player there, Ireland is going to play second fiddle to the English/Welsh/Scottish side of the map where "the action is." We experimented with this option a bit, but found it didn't change much but the time it took to play the game.

It might be better to see if you can come up with "Irelandia" (to bastardize the name) that focuses strictly on Ireland and Irish areas rather than adding it to the English game. With all of the Irish/English wars (Cromwell and Elizabeth I both springing immediately to mind), trying to follow the Britannia turn track may rob you of much of the interesting history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Pulsipher
United States
Gainesville
FL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Two ways to go with Ireland, have it be relatively small and ancillary to the main history (which it was), or make it more important with its own history as part of the whole (such as having a High King equivalent to Bretwalda).

In B3 I took the first course. Not sure how it will end up, if I ever come back to it. I think the second Eire variant takes the second course (Jim Lawler is the man in charge, I don't think he checks in here much).

I thought about an Ireland only Brit-like game, but it's way way down the list.

Lew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Braund
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots that can be done with Ireland, and yes the history does go on later, with the Normans going into Ireland.

Remember that Ulster included Louth but excluded Cavan in ancient times, it was the English who reassigned them. Cavan was in Connacht.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.