Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
MAGIC REALM

SET UP

Magic Realm is the most beloved, and aggravating, game of my youth. I used to think that as a youngster, I was just not smart enough yet to grasp all of the concepts. However, now I realize that this is just one complex game.

I have written some rules titled, ‘Magic Realm Lite’, and we have used them to play for some time, but this time we decided to give the full-blown game a go.

We had 3 players with varying degrees of experience, and a couple of new players.

During set up, the newbies immediately chose the Sorcerer and the Wizard. I explained to them that they are more difficult characters to play because of magic. They were enthusiastic to learn, and promised patience with me, so we decided to go for it. The other players chose the Black Knight and Captain. I used my time-honored tradition of drawing my character at random, and pulled out the Dwarf.

GAME PLAY

The first day in Magic Realm began quietly. The Black Knight and the Captain were carousing with the Guard, while the Wizard and Sorcerer were awakening at the Inn. The Dwarf looked from the back porch of the House, longing for the maze of caves he new began in the next clearing over.

The first few days were unnaturally uneventful. The Black Knight met up with a pack of wolves and battled them to a standstill, no harm done. The Sorcerer discovered the vault, but did not have the keys, or the tremendous strength to open it, and left it for other adventures. The Wizard spent the days walking peacefully through the woods. The Captain was hearing all sorts of howls and flutters, but could never find the source of the sounds. The Dwarves spent the week spelunking.

Toward the end of the week, the brazenly unhidden Dwarf came face to face with 6 Ax Goblins in the caves. He knew he was not fast enough to run away, so he faced them with grim determination. Half way through the battle the battered Dwarf had all but given up, and prepared for the end. Miraculously, he held on as the tide of the battle turned. When it was over, six goblin heads were hanging from his belt, but he was barely able to stand.

INTERMISSION

This was the most uneventful week of Magic Realm ever. There had only been two battles, although one almost took the life of the poor Dwarf. The players were really enjoying it, and the week flew by in less than ½ an hour. We took a break to go canoeing and fishing out back before it got too dark.

THE DREADED CONCLUSION

Upon returning, the players came upon a scene of horror. The game was blanketed with, well, a blanket. We held our collective breath as my niece’s blanket was slowly lifted from the game. All was lost. Magic Realm had been destroyed. After much weeping and mourning for our characters and the land, we decided not to try to recreate the Realm, and let the chapter end.

No matter how many times I play this game, the atmosphere still takes me by surprise.

I did not ask the players for ratings for this session, as we did not play a full game, but we all enjoyed our short time in the Magic Realm, and even won over a couple more converts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
Sky Knight X (#52065),
Nice AAR. I don't own the fame but the words around it, as you said, the suspense and atmosphere surrounding it are so much that it's like every adventure is a new experience. I want to buy it back from eBay but I am not sure whether it is the right thing to do. Complex RPG game it is. Anyway, just drop you a note by despite the story hasn't finished yet. Maybe next time.
Lawrence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Yoder
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report. Too bad about the blanket of death that ate the Realm. You must have been playing with the optional weather rules...

I think a lot of the atmosphere comes from the way the game is set up. You can see all the pieces and the whole map. You know stuff is out there, but you don't know where, and since most of the treasures won't be found in the average game, it'll be new stuff every time you explore.

--Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Peek
United States
Preston
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If ever there was a game begging for a computer version, its this one. Well, this and Empires of the MIddle Ages. Well, EotMA DID have a computer version but it was virtually unplayable... What was I saying again? Oh yeah. We need a good computerized version of Magic Realm to take care of the bookkeeping and help with the initial setup and everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
There's a computer version being developed but its progressing slowly. If you're interested in coding some C# you could give them a hand:

http://realmsofmagic.sourceforge.net/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.