Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our friend Dan Raspler is one of the contributing playtesters of the "War of the Ring" boardgame. After GenCon I passed by New York and I spent a few days there with Marco and Francesco, two of WotR authors. We had a nice time around the city with Dan, who also organized an enjoyable gaming evening at JR's place.

In this occasion we played a match of WoW in eight. JR put a shower towel on the table as a luxury playing surface: it was in a perfect shade of blue, matching finely the back of the maneuver cards and the ruler. Depth of the gaming field was about 90 cm, and I guess that the width was at least 140 if not more.

We used all the optional rules. We mixed together 4 damage decks for a better variety of special damages (well, two of them would have been more than enough) but we took away all the explosions.

The local team choosed to play Germans. From North to South, JR took Kissenberth's Camel, Dan Richthofen's Dr.I, Sean Böhning's Camel and Rob Rahn's Dr.I. From N to S, Allied were Marco on Baracca's SPAD XIII, Francesco on Culley's Camel, me on Oleieslager's Camel and Simone (one of the founders of Nexus Editrice) with Collishaw's Triplane. JR, Dan and me were all familiar with WoW, while the others were at their first game ever. We then started with a quick explanation of the rules.

(This thing of the N/S I just invented, but it could become a conventional standard: North is the side of the table at the right of the Germans and at the left of the Allied players. On the Russian front it could be the opposite and on the Italian one W/E, but let's not be too fussy).

The battle started in quite a dispersed way. Simone, Sean, Rob and me engaged in a fierce battle on the southernmost part of the front. Marco and Francesco went ahead against Dan in the center/north part of the sky, while JR flew at distance for a while and then attacked.

Simone and Rob, flying agile but fragile triplanes, shot down each other after several attacks. On the opposite side, Marco exchanged a few rounds of machineguns with the enemy and catched fire. Even if he flew a sturdy SPAD XIII, his machine did not survive and he went out of the game (shared victory between Dan and JR). I then decided to join the middle of the battle: Dan had just said that he had seldom seen the interesting tailing rules applied... that I got both JR and Sean (luckly the latter with jammed machineguns) on my back. I quite obviously tried to escape with a very tight turn on the right (I feared that any less decise maneuvre would be worse) and JR shot me down immediately.

Francesco was then alone facing three Germans. Sean went out of the table while trying to unjam its gun, so at the center of the table we had Francesco, JR and Dan. Francesco escaped south to divide his enemies, and actually Dan went after him more quickly than JR. Having a plane that was quicker than his own and playing on surprise, Francesco striked back JR's Camel and managed to center it, but he jammed his guns. Two agains one and unarmed, he did not survive enough to have a chance to fire again: JR scored his third victory shooting down him, bercoming the top scorer of the evening and bringing the game to the end. 4 to 2 for our American hosts... Congratulations!

Besides, JR gave me a copy of "Goshawk Squadron". Nice novel indeed: a suggested reading for WoW players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
A picture of the event is there:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/55585

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.