Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yeh Fang
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
1) Let's say it's a siege. Attackers (siegers) need a 6 to hit. Let's say a defender combat card gives them a -2 modifier, while their own combat card gives them a +1 modifier. Do they require a 6 to hit (6+2-1=7) or do they require a 5 or 6 to hit (6+2=8, out of bounds, default to 6, then -1 = 5)? I'd say the former.

2) If a non-belligerent nation retreats to a friendly nation territory. When they next move normally, are they forced to leave that nation's territory? I'm guessing yes.

3) What if the Fellowship with the Fellowship Progression on 1, or even 0, but it's all friendly settlements around? i.e., Since the rules says they cannot move to a friendly settlement, what happens if they have no choice? I'm guessing they end up in that friendly settlement?

4) What happens if a Shadow Player doesn't allocate any dice to the hunt (let's say he's feeling lucky and thinks he can rolls some eyes, but doesn't). Does that mean the Free Peoples players can just zoom all the way across with no consequence (given enough Character action dice)? I'm guessing, yes (thus, it's a *very* bad idea not to allocate at least one die)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Four questions after reading the rules
Dracil (#52515),

1) modifiers are applied simultaeneously, not sequentially

2) no

3) the FSP cannot be REVEALED [as a result of a SUCCESSFUL HUNT] in an FP STRONGHOLD or CITY. They can only DECLARE in or into an FP Stronghold or city.

4) yes. They may also zoom whilst losing people if successful hunts do not reveal the Fellowship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Nepitello
Italy
Venezia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dracil wrote:
1) Let's say it's a siege. Attackers (siegers) need a 6 to hit. Let's say a defender combat card gives them a -2 modifier, while their own combat card gives them a +1 modifier. Do they require a 6 to hit (6+2-1=7) or do they require a 5 or 6 to hit (6+2=8, out of bounds, default to 6, then -1 = 5)? I'd say the former.

I don't think we introduced any -2 cards, also for this reason.

2) If a non-belligerent nation retreats to a friendly nation territory. When they next move normally, are they forced to leave that nation's territory? I'm guessing yes.

I you choose to move them, you should move them away.

3) What if the Fellowship with the Fellowship Progression on 1, or even 0, but it's all friendly settlements around? i.e., Since the rules says they cannot move to a friendly settlement, what happens if they have no choice? I'm guessing they end up in that friendly settlement?

? You probably mean if they are forced to be revealed. You are never obliged to move a fixed number of regions upon revealing, so if every possible choice is impossible (very unlikely, if not outright impossible) you can choose to reveal the Fellowship where it currently stands (move 0 regions).

4) What happens if a Shadow Player doesn't allocate any dice to the hunt (let's say he's feeling lucky and thinks he can rolls some eyes, but doesn't). Does that mean the Free Peoples players can just zoom all the way across with no consequence (given enough Character action dice)? I'm guessing, yes (thus, it's a *very* bad idea not to allocate at least one die)

Correct. Some cards let the Shadow player correct such mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yeh Fang
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Francesco Nepitello (#52538),

Thanks for the replies! A bit of conflict in the answers for #2 but I guess the designer is always right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Dracil wrote:
Francesco Nepitello (#52538),

Thanks for the replies! A bit of conflict in the answers for #2 but I guess the designer is always right.

I think we will have a final ruling sooner or later on that issue!
But Francesco answer is correct by applying the rules as written, because as you move that army (lying inside the border of another Nation) he is forbidden to move into a region of another Nation - so in fact the only way to move it is out.
However he is not FORCED to move out: as long as it does not move it can stay there - so Andy's answer is also correct with respect to the original question posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Graber
United States
Louisville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3) the FSP cannot be REVEALED [as a result of a SUCCESSFUL HUNT] in an FP STRONGHOLD or CITY. They can only DECLARE in or into an FP Stronghold or city.

I didn't find either of these anywhere in the rules. Though it does make some sense that the Shadow player could not Hunt for the Fellowship when they are in an FP Stronhold or City...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgraber (#52968),
It is phrased differently in the rules, but exists on page 18 under the heading "Fellowship is revealed by a Hunt for the Ring".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Graber
United States
Louisville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On further reflection, the Shadow player can't search for the Fellowship unless it moves, so if the Fellowship is anywhere with the progress counter set at 0, the Shadow player will not be able to conduct a search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.