Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Date: September 1st, 2004

Game: Hansa

Players: Ivan (my son) and Valdir (myself)

This Friday (September 3rd) I’m going to host another one of my monthly boardgaming nights at work and as I intend to show Hansa to my colleagues, I convinced my son (Ivan) to join me in simulating a game of four players. He got Yellow and White, I took Gray and Pink (or whatever you call that fourth colour).

The game was quite interesting. It was a bit difficult to handle two colours each, sometimes we had to remind each other which one we were playing. The colour sequence that we used was Gray, Yellow, Pink and then White, so that we would alternate in controlling the little wooden ship.

Once again in this game I was the only one doing the replenishing, Ivan would just sit there waiting for me to do it. I even wrote an article about it (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/52557) asking for ideas on how to make him wish to spend his talers to do at least some of the replenishing. If you are interested in discussing this, please follow the link above and join the discussion.

During the game we started discussing this subject (more advantages for the player doing the replenishing) because even though he was the one profiting from it, he saw that the game could go down the drain if both players were nasty enough to delay replenishing. We had some ideas, but all of them seemed a bit too unbalanced.

Close to the end of the game I started distributing my market booths over the board to get VP’s at the end of the game. Ivan followed suit and we could see that the game has really two different "phases": in the first half of the game you have interest to get market booth majority in a few key cities because you are going to get rewards for that, but on the second half, you are more interested in spreading your booths all over the board to get more VP’s at the end of the game. Another thing that I noticed is that the one-barrel good markers are not that good for sale, they only generate two VP’s, the same amount that they would generate if they were used to set up a booth in a city where you don’t have any.

I guess the points above should be the subject of a separate article. Maybe I’ll write it up next week.

Anyway, by game’s end we counted our points and this was the result:
Unsold Sold
Cities goods goods Total
Yellow 6 0 33 39
White 16 1 20 37
Pink 14 0 25 39
Gray 16 0 21 37
We were amazed that once again we were tied, both our colours had the same totals! When we played a month ago we had drawn 30 to 30 and even the number of booths was the same. However, this time I won in the tie-break, I had more booths in play (14 and 12 against 7 and 11) than him, but it seemed incredible that we would be tied again in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.