Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Paprocki
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Formula De regularly in a group of 7. One issue on which we are split is the pace of play. 4 of "us" are pretty consistent at planning during other players turns and just picking up the die and firing away. The 3 of "them" seem to always be counting spaces to corners before choosing a gear, and then counting not only their eventual movement, but then counting potential moves on their next turn. As any of you who play know, watching someone count out 16 spaces upwards of 8 or 9 times times prior to finishing their move is painful. On top of that, imagine then dealing with a finger placeholder on the spot and then three more counts to next corner to determine if the move is optimal. I will give credit and acknowledge that their strategy and over-analysis leads to favorable results. It just kind of saps the fun out of playing, and no longer feels like a high speed formula 1 race.

So, here is a proposal that my friend Scott came up with at Gen Con this year. Play with a 30 second egg timer and give any player who finishes their gear selection, die roll and movement within 30 seconds 1 extra space of (optional) movement.

At first I thought that 1 extra space didn't seem like a big deal, but then I caught on that over the course of a 1 lap race, this could equate to an extra 15-20 spaces of movement. On the surface I think it is brilliant. It encourages a type of play that matches the theme of the game, and even a 2 or 3 space advantage coming out of the final corner could pull victory from the jaws of defeat. Hey, I love a good brain-twisting strategic game as much as the next guy, but this is racing! Instinct and decisive action should rule the day!

Comments? Please post a report if you try this in your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Moyer
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Optional rule to encourage faster play
jpact (#52597),

I don't know how good of an idea it is to award spaces to people who choose their gears in time, but if it takes people more than 30 seconds to choose their gear they should probably be playing another game.

The problem that I have with awarding an extra optional space is that it may give too much of an advantage to those players beyond just the boost of spaces. I think that going into turns is much easier if you don't have to worry about stopping right at the front border of the corner.

An alternate that my group is probably going to start using is this: A player must stay in the same gear if he does not choose a new gear in the time limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpact (#52597),

Tell them that they should be counting and figuring out what to do next after they finished their move. And when it comes to their turn again they should have made a decision by then.

If you really need to impose some sort of timer, then penalize those whom can't keep within the time. Staying in same gear is a popular choice.

But awarding those whom do make they time by granting them an extra space is (as stated above) too much. It's almost like a double penalty for those your are imposing this rule for. And it may take the fun out of it for them and they may not play anymore...then again maybe thats not a bad thing?

-Floyd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith M. Sandler
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Floydski (#55981),
We are thinking of imposing a "stay in the same gear" rule for our upcoming league, with one addition-- if you take longer than your time limit, your car goes STRAIGHT, regardless of turns, possibly running out of the track and into the stands!

--kMs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.