Die Macher» Forums » General

Subject: Closet US game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Lewis
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I read the reviews and thought it sounds really interesting. What would be the closest game using the US electoral system?

In addition, I get the impression you could play the US electoral system as a two player version (with maybe an option to add a third or fourth party), with some minor modifications (particularly since auctions don't work well with two people).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Closet US game?
Grognard/Dad (#52685),

Well, I've never played the game, but my understanding is that Die Macher is about campaigning for an election by swaying the popular swing in the favour of your party by appropriate use of the polling, policy mechanisms, etc.

Surely, a similarly themed game for the US electoral system would require entirely different mechanics for handling bribing public officials, taking back-handers from large corporates, etc.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grognard/Dad (#52685),

Oddly enough, Who Stole Ed's Pants feels a lot like Die Macher, though it has a different topic. WSEP also plays in much less time (but it delivers a similar, though less severe, sort of brain cramp.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Donnelly
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Grognard/Dad (#52685),

That's the thing about Die Macher. There really is no game like it. Ever since it came out, it pretty much stood alone. Personally, it's my all time favorite.

With regards to the US political system, I believe there is a mechanism it is close to within our system. The game is played over elections covering seven regions. The winner of each region gets to influence national media and national public opinion, as well as add members to his/her party and to gain seats in the legislature.

Now, substitute adding supporters for your campaign instead of adding members to your party, and substitute gaining delegates instead of seats in the legislature, and you're pretty much describing the presidential primary system in this country.

The game could be changed in only the slightest of ways, and it would be a good representation of our primaries. Each new region is the next state primary. Different states have different concerns. Different candidates have different platforms, etc.

Instead of the PDS competing against the FDP, you'd have John Edwards competing against Al Sharpton.

Of course, the issues would have to change as well, and the names of the regions/states, but that's just window dressing.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
thomasdean007 (#60356),

OK, so who's gonna step up to the plate and do it? I mean create some boards, card images, yada yada ... something like what mikedoyle did for PR (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/57907) and AoM would be awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Orleans
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Oddly enough, Who Stole Ed's Pants feels a lot like Die Macher, though it has a different topic. WSEP also plays in much less time (but it delivers a similar, though less severe, sort of brain cramp.)

Tyranno Ex (by the same designer as Die Macher) uses a similar mechanism of favored/unfavored "suits", as does Reef Encounter.

A game about American politics with similar mechanisms would have to be about a party primary election, so that each state election/caucus could be conducted individually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JEREMY WILHM
United States
EDMOND
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Insert clever phrase here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've created a game based on Die Macher about the American Election system in 1788 - the year of the first presidential election.

There are a few differences: Elections are held in all 13 colonies, not just 7 regions. Instead of Shadow Cabinet cards, there is a Campaign Table that each player rolls on to see what Campaign Options are available that turn (also players have the option to elimintate the luck of the roll and just choose what options they want, but it costs more). Instead of purchasing Media Markers, players decide how much they are willing to spend on Propaganda and Newspaper Manipulation each round. The person who spends the most wins a propaganda marker, and the player who holds the most of these markers at any point during the game gets special privelidges.

Instead of Party Meeting Markers, each player has Constituent Cards that represent other people in your political party that you are trying to get elected. Each card is worth a varying number of points, and lists a special state where that Constituent would stage the best possible campaign (if this happens the card's points double). Based on the point totals of a player's constituents, Senate and House seats are won in individual states. These seats directly translate to the number of electoral votes a player can collect.

Once all 13 states have held their elections, the player with a majority of Electoral Votes wins the presidency. Players get "Victory Points" for Senate seats, House seats, Propaganda/Newspaper Markers, Electoral Votes, Winning the Presidency, Holding a Senate Majority, and Holding a House Majority. The player with the most Victory Points wins.

Other items that are similar to Die Macher - The Bidding/Auction to determine who goes first in each round, A Player's Platform issues is only 4 topics instead of Macher's 5, Each state has 4 issues that can match a player's political platform, Instead of Trend Markers there is a Character Scale that ranges from -2 to 4 (Macher's scale goes from -3 to 3), Instead of Publishing polls, players choose to wage character attacks on their opponents. Also, there is no Campaign Contribution option in my game.

I've created a prototype of the game and written up a draft of the rules. I just need to playtest it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwilhm (#72450),
Sounds good! Anything in pdf format??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JEREMY WILHM
United States
EDMOND
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Insert clever phrase here.
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest (#73068),

Unfortunately no. I'm not that computer savvy so I don't know how to create a PDF document. When I playtest it and if it goes well, then some PDF's to share may be in order. I'll just need someone's help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwilhm (#74776),
Are you going to Origins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.