Subject: Scoring districts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Tolin
United States
Lumberton
Texas
flag msg tools
Okay, we played our first game of this one last night (3 players, btw). We noticed a lot of what people are saying around here, with the early selection of lots of shops kind of speeding up the game's pace in an awkward way.

I have one major question, though: Are districts really only scored when the Score District action is selected by someone and at the end of the game? I can't see any way the rules could be interpreted otherwise, but is sure did seem odd that scoring was so infrequent. In total, one district was scored during our game, and the rest of the points were awarded at the end. Is this typical?

The score district option is a nice scoring option, but early in the game it's pretty much blind luck that a commissioner ends up in one of your own districts at the beginning of your turn. After all, you can't move a commissioner and *then* score a district, and the player before you isn't likely to move the commissioner into a district of yours that scores highly at the end of his/her turn so you can take advantage of it. Of course, later in the game, more people have skyscrapers in the same districts, so it is less of an issue. By that time, however, the game (well, our first game, anyway) is nearly at an end.

I'm reasonably certain we've interpreted the rules correctly, but it just struck us as odd that scoring is so infrequent. Perhaps starting skyscrapers in the same districts as other players at the beginning of the game would be a better strategy? Only time will tell...

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Scoring districts
DavidTolin (#52999),

You are correct. Districts are only scored when the D Action is selected and at the end of the game.

There are times when a player will score a district even if he doesn't get the most VPs from it: during our last 3-player game i was 2 Vps ahead from the second player and 12 VPs ahead of the third player. I scored a district where i got 6 VPs, the third player 9 and the second none...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Mongelli
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan (#53035),
And there are times when a player will score a district even if he doesn't get any VPs
Sometimes getting 3 black cards is better than getting a couple of VPs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jelerak (#53106),

Sure... especially at the beginning of the game where the districts are not developed and the VP count is low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if players are actively colluding too, you'll see more scoring. If it's just you, yes, it's basically impossible to set up a decent scoring opportunity. But if you and the player on your right (or left) are both in a district, you can much more easily work a deal.

Re: the businesses thing, once people understand the game I think things get more under control. Playing businesses early (before a couple round of auctions) is always a somewhat questionable because you are setting up opportunities for other players for easy points at very little cost. Once things have shaken out a bit in terms of skyscraper placement though, you can place businesses with much more confidence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cfarrell (#53196),

Placing business before placing (more) skyscrapers is not a good strategy because it is 'easier' for your opponents to bid to prevent you from building many buildings at once than it is for you to add buildings. If you want to add 2 or 3 buildings at once, you'll need to be bidding with "5" and "4" cards, but your opponents whose intent are to prevent you from building on your 5-point or 8-point site can bid against you with 6 cards.

Thus, if you try to build your skyscrapers first and then add shops later, you can hope to build 2 or 3 buildings at once, because if you lose out in one district, you just bid on another. But if you put all your eggs in one basket by placing 3 or 4 shops around your lot first, your opponents will be bidding against you in that district. The result would be a smaller number of buildings you can build (at your high-value site), and consequently overall lower efficiency for your actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lee
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Kwan (#55808),

I have played Fifth Avenue about 5 times now and won 3. Two of my victories came when the other players placed businesses very quickly. When I saw this I used timely build-stops and won each time handily. It is not really hard to overcome this inexperienced strategy if you pay attention to certain details. I will leave it to the rest of you to figure it out, because that is what is part of the fun after all. However, please do not think players placing businesses is a game-killer, because that is far from the truth. Good luck in your gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eurocle (#57189),

I agree! Placing shops is a good strategy to shorten the game IF you are already ahead and want to increase the value of sites where you have 2-3 buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kleiner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Very Rarely is the opponent before you gonna move his or her commissioner to the district so you can score it where you have at least two skyscrapers or 2 or 3 businesses adjacent to them. Don't forget this. Not only does the active player score the district but the other opponents including the opponent before that moved the commissioner also scores a distict for their skyscapers and adjacent businesses on it.

Plus you don't always want to score a district and its great yes to get additional black cards that is 2 for yourself and 1 for each person including yourself but colored cards are just as important because you can't start the beginning of the auction with a black wild card only continue in it from second card and after. However the second bidder who has to use 2 cards to outbid can start with both black and colored if he or she wants to bid with 2 cards.

Plus you want to get skyscapers also in districts and Central Park so after every 2 business groups are placed and bonus victory points come up to have the minimum number of skyscapers on the board to get 4 bonus points would be great and if you don't have the minimum then you only get half of the bonus victory points which is 2 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.