Popular Tags: [View All]
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, it was just me and myself, trying out this game to see if the Azalea Blossoms would like it or not. I don't think enough of them are into adventure-fantasy to really get into it, though, and I'll have better luck with Knizia's Lord of the Rings. On the upside, this is the Seattle area after all... it's not like I won't find someone.

After setting up the board (using glass bits intead---they're much more noticeable on the board than the flat bits, and it's easy to remember the point scores for different colors), I chose two heroes at random: Battlemage Jaes and Varikas the Dead.

I tend to be a cautious gamer---except during, gods know why, chess---so I tried to be somewhat cautious with Jaes and a little more foolhardy with Varikas. Jaes just wanted to get the job done within reasonable safety bounds, I decided, while Varikas was more of a loner.

Varikas struck out for the wilderness, while Jaes pretty much travelled from town to town, solving their problems for them and picking up items and allies in the market. Varikas managed to stumble into one semi-good early ally (a Runeseeker), while Jaes picked up a Griffon Wanderer because he was hot. (Or she was hot. It's hard to tell. She/he never did wing a critter during the entire game, though.)

Jaes kept picking up more and more folks, while staying on the town track. He managed to gather enough experience points to start really specializing in magic. Varikas kicked about the wilderness with his Runeseeker for a long time, accumulating experience points more slowly.

At one point Varikas picked up a quest where he had to end a move on a swamp. For the next fifteen turns he had no swamps, of course. This slowed him down somewhat, as did his lack of allies. Later in the game he managed to pick up a few semi-good ones, but Jaes picked up two powerhouses---Sir Gareth and Jirta. He started going after red adventures.

Varikas finally went to town and hired Sister Celia and Brother Frakas (odd bedfellows for a demon/undead thing such as himself), but he was desperate. By the time he'd done this, Jaes had already picked up two dragon runes.

Varikas finally headed for the red himself, and got... Lord Margath. He wasn't quite ready (or was he?) but he fought Margath anyways. The allies came in a little bit handy, and Varikas might have taken out the guy himself, since he had Soul Biter and a pretty nice Mac, and in the end he won.

The game took under an hour or so. It was a bit random as to who won in the end, but I don't think it matters so long as everyone's had fun. I might prefer the game without the artifacts, and without making it "harder" because a light dungeon crawl is all I think the Azalea Blossoms would stand for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wee-Chong Oon
Singapore
Toa Payoh
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re:Session Report
Nice atmospheric session report, but it looks like you made a common mistake in rules interpretation:

BilboAtBagEnd wrote:
At one point Varikas picked up a quest where he had to end a move on a swamp. For the next fifteen turns he had no swamps, of course. This slowed him down somewhat, as did his lack of allies.

The only way getting a quest would slow down Varikas would be if you assumed that he had to complete the quest before he could continue. This is not the case; whenever you hit an adventure, you keep drawing cards until you draw an encounter. So a quest is a bonus that you typically only choose to do if it's convenient. Not very heroic, but then what do you expect from someone called Varikas the Dead?

Also, are you aware of the rule that you are allowed to take a single step onto any hex if you elect not to roll your movement dice? So if you had to get onto a swamp, you can do so by ending the turn on an adjacent hex, and then stepping onto it the next turn. This is one of the most overlooked rules by new players, which takes away a lot of the wrong-movement-die frustrations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
UmExcuseMe (#53308),

Thanks for the heads up! Varikas was still doing other stuff, of course, while the quest was in the air---but it was just kind of frustrating not to roll swamps for a while, so it became a sort of way to determine where he should wander around the southern end of the board. It became a matter of "argh! it should be an easy quest! I know I don't need it, but @#$@#!"

The latter rule you mention, about the option to take one step on any hex, would have saved Varikas a lot of grief, but I think he had fun anyways. Or some variant of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.