Subject: My Stark & Lannister favourite opening rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Davide Pallanza
Italy
Conzano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
After three games, this is my opinion about the best opening for Stark and Lannister. It is mostly based on the amazing power of the Support order. Comments are welcome.

Stark: March +1 in the Shivering Sea, march -1 in Winterfell, march 0 in White Arbor.
First, move the knight to White Arbor and the footman to Karhold. Then, move the ship south (assuming Baratheon already moved his fleet; if not, you have to wait). Last, move the footman in White Arbor to Moat Cailin.
From this point on, the knight will support, keeping almost safe both Moat Cailin and Winterfell (ok, now there isn't anyone there to support, but your stronghold isn't under danger until at least one mustering as arrived, i think), being safe from Raid if you manage to keep the sea.

Lannister: Defense +2 in the Golden Sound (changed to Raid if Greyjoy's fleet support), March 0 in Lannisport, March +1 in Stoney Sept.
First, move the footman in Lannisport to Riverdell and the Knight to Stoney Sept. Then, move the footman in Stoney Sept to Blackwater.
At this point, the knight can do the same as before: support most of your armies, without the risk of raid. Blackwater is crucial to keep an eye on Baratheon, who is the most supply lacking.
This opening expose the flank vs Greyjoy, who can take Riverdell without much effort... but,in this case, you probably will retire to Arrenhall or even to Seagard, given he won't use the strongest card. After this, you can counterattack with a 3 strenght army and good possibilities to win. Even if you don't, probably you will in the next turn, with heavy expenses and no advantage for you and him. In the whole, your move to Blackwater seems to mean that you move toward Baratheon instead of fighting Greyjoy, so it isn't easy that he will not provoke your rage, don't you think? laugh

Wilhelm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adriaan de Goeij
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:My Stark
Wilhelm (#53115),
I mostly agree with you regarding the Stark opening, I try to sent my Knight to The Twins instead. This position opens up more agressive moves for Stark with regard to Seagard.

As to Lannister I prefer to have three move orders in place and have the defense +2 as an option if Greyjoy decides to go your way. If he doesn't than I would have the 0 order in Lannisport (no need to really piss Greyjoy off) the -1 on the Fleet and the +1 in Stoney Sept. First move will be to move from Lannisport to Stoney Sept, second will be a removal of the -1 in the golden sound, third will be ideally Footman in Harrenhal, Footman in Blackwater and Knight in Riverrun, taking control of Stoney Sept. If the muster doesn't come up you are screwed as Lannister anyway because anybody with bad intentions can bash you. If the muster comes Fortress Lannister is there and you can then even afford to lose your fleet.

Lately I have become worried that most games end up too scripted. What I mean is that it tends to be bad for Greyjoy to bash Tyrell too much as that will give the win to Baratheon. If Baratheon decideds to bash Stark (and this in my opinion is really silly) the only power around to benefit is Greyjoy and on top of that it will be in the game winning way.

Therefore, I am afraid that too often similar developments will take place during games. It is for this reason that Tyrell never wins any games in my group. Most wins go to Baratheon followed by Stark and Greyjoy and closing with Lannister. Although Tyrell is fun to play I find then awefully brittle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Park Previs
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Wilhelm (#53115),

i agree that stark has to take the narrow sea. as long as you wait for baratheon to take the narrow sea first, it is ALWAYS stark that will win on the first turn. in our games, it is crucial for stark to take this because if baratehon grabs it, stark will never get it back, and will have a REALLY hard time going south.

as for the stark ground movements... i think that stark's strengh is the power gaining ability. i move my footmen to the top two places (with the crowns) and generate money each turn. yes, this is painful if no musterings come up (so buy the expansion - use the mustering orders), or if a clash of kings doesn't come up for a while. however, if when it does come up, you'll probably be able to out bid everyone for everything.

as for lannister, you don't need the barrels. yes, baratheon does need the barrels. but he can't get to them on the first turn anyway. and if let him know that you're letting him have them, he might be willing to lend a little support your way against greyjoy.

all of this, of course depends on who you're playing with, and how the westeros cards fall. i suggest using the random card draw for battles. this eliminates the "scripted" feel of the game. and it forces stronger players to adapt when things take a sudden turn in the wrong direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric TOLLET
France
POISSY
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhelm (#53115),

about Lannister' opening, have you seen this post:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/30809 ??

It's very interessant...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the thread Cedric linked, is the BEST opening for lannister. We worked it out.

For stark, I disagree with leaving any piece in white harbor. I prefer to move the night to Moat Calin and the footmen to both castle black and Karhold, OR to move the knight to moat calin, footman to Karhold, footman somewhere (mountains of the moon, the twins, or whatever).

Of course, as Stark, you must wait until Baratheon moves his ships, in order to execute the march+1 on your ship.
Stark MUST put a march+1 on his ship, nad MUST move it to the narrow sea AFTER Baratheon moves their ship, or stark loses.
If Stark does not have the narrow sea, Stark loses, and Baratheon probably wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.