Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, let me describe the situation. Imagine you have 5 colonists, a '0' on the colonist support track, and you want to found the '10' colony (Madras?). You state your intention, and pick up two expedition cards. The colonist total on those two cards comes to 5. So you now pay the additional 5 colonists from your hand and successfully create the colony.

Now, are you allowed to 'abort' the founding and take a single colonist instead? Or do you *have* to pay the difference (if you can)? The rules say "must" but I don't hold the translation in the highest regard.

It might be a tactical move if you draw a poor expedition contribution to abort the founding rather than pay a lot of colonists from your hand. Sure, you use up a turn, but you gain a colonist and maybe next time you'll only need to pay less.

What do people think? Should the rule be taken literally or is the German version different in this respect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Founding a colony - permissable to abort?
meowsqueak (#53239),

I would certainly allow an opponent to intentionally abort founding a colony. Getting a colonist in exchange for an action is a huge waste.

In your example, the player is begging to spend a lot of colonists and not merely getting hosed by a bad draw. I never attempt to found a colony unless success is virtually guaranteed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course I need to learn to spell 'permissible' properly. Sigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It does say must, which on first glance is dispositive.

But in the Rio Grande version of the rules, the last paragraph on that page includes the sentence:

"It is also possible for a player to have enough colonist cards in his hand to found the colony, but he decides he does not want to use the number required."

You are free to abort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are never forced to ofund it, you can just take the colonist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.