Popular Tags: [View All]
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am visiting family over the holidays in the Johnson City, TN and Boone, NC area. There used to be a great game store called Nord's Gaming in the mal but it has vanished.

I am looking for two games.

1. Times Up

2. A Days of Wonder style game to buy and play with the family.

Does anone know of a store in the area that may carry these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
Poke Greg Schloesser - he lives in that area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon's Den in Boone. The owner is Karl Marx. No shit, he bought the store from Rodney King. Ask him about it. He's a real nice guy who does everything from role-playing and minis to reenactments and comics. Their selection might be slim, but its got good play space and a Gauntlet arcade. Watch out though, I once asked him a question about the Revolutionary war, two hours later I ducked out when another customer asked a question...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...I don't mean that in a bad way, but he has an encyclopedic knowledge of many things. Boone has some funky restaurants and coffee shops as does nearby Blowing Rock. There's also some great hiking in the area. Don't know much bout Johnson City, I hear it has a good Christian music scene if you're into that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am from JC, the only one I know of now is Hobbytown 2244 N. Roan St. 423-610-1010. There is a Toys R Us but Hobbytown carries more of the Geek games. I think there is one in Boone but I am not sure. We use to have 3 good game store but two of them are out of business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Karl sold the shop in Boone and moved away, off into the wilderness from what I have heard.

I "think" the shop is still there under different ownership but I can't guarantee that.
There is a shop called The Sword and The Grail down in Asheville if you are willing to go a little further afield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhonda Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game store I knew of in JC closed down, but hopefully someone else will confirm that. If you can make it as far as Knoxville there are two game stores in town at each of the malls. Both have huge Euro game selections (just about all Mayfair, Rio Grande, DoW, FFG titles and many others), including some OOP stuff. Prices are full retail if that puts you off. The one in West Towne Mall and possibly the other have been known to have 30% off everything but M:TG sales some time between mid Dec and early Jan, but there is no advance advertising or warning on this. They will tell you if they're having a sale over the telephone, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badinfo wrote:
Karl sold the shop in Boone and moved away, off into the wilderness from what I have heard.

I "think" the shop is still there under different ownership but I can't guarantee that.
There is a shop called The Sword and The Grail down in Asheville if you are willing to go a little further afield.

Wow, sorry to hear that. He and I had some interesting discussions and he was a good fencing instructor. I was never quite sure how he kept the place afloat in the first place, but I'm glad it lasted as long as it did (or at least long enough for me to graduate).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Yah, I hate to see any game shop go under. Though as I posted I "think" the store is still there under new ownership. Haven't been through Boone in awhile though.
Karl is definitely an interesting fellow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.