Subject: User Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Romero
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another kids came based on Barbie. I bought this one for my daughter for her 6th birthday. She's a big Barbie fan (duh... she's a girl and six ) and I have always been a fan of getting boardgames for my family for birthdays. I've been playing a lot of boardgames with my 9 year old son, so I wanted to get something to play with my daughter.

The game is a themed race game based on a new direct-to-DVD Barbie movie based on the "Prince and the Pauper" novel.

Each player starts with one "pauper" pawn and one "princess" pawn. The princess starts out being held captive, so you need to free the princess by moving the pauper to the spot containing the princess and then you need to move the princess to the last spot on the board to win the game.

The game is very simple but comes with two variants to play. One that's really simple and one that's only simple.

The really simple variant involves little more than the above - you roll a D6 to move the pauper until you get to the space with the princess and then you move the princess to the end. Brain-dead simple and targetted at the 3+ age range, I would say.

The simple variation introduces a couple interesting twists. First, you need to get both the princess and the pauper to the end of the board.

Second, there are two "special" pieces representing some cats or something from the movie. When you move past these with the pawns, you "get" to claim the cat. You can use the cat to immediately free your princess.

Third, there's a special "Preminger" piece that both players can move on their own turn. If the "Preminger" pawn lands on a princess, that princess is re-captured and sent back to the mine where the princess pawns start. You need to then re-free the princess.

Fourth, if you land on a special spot (marked with, what else, hearts!), you get to use an action card. These allow you to move the princess 3 spaces, or Preminger 3 spaces or recapture a princess.

Lastly, you need to get both the princess and the pauper to the end.

The simple version is much more interesting than the really simple version. It is little more than a race game, but the addition of the Preminger character and the action cards at least prompts the players to think about multiple options during their turn.

The game plays well with either variation with a six year old. I think the simple (not the really simple) version would probably be too much for a child under 5 and 5 might be pushing it. The really simple version should be workable for any child who can count to at least 6.

While not challenging, it does present an opportunity for me to play a boardgame with my daughter - which is always valuable and fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hawkins
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter got this game from somewhere or other so we played it a few times. What a terrible game! There is nothing to it other than moving pieces around the track, with the odd time of sending someone back to the mineshaft.

There are plenty of other 5-6 year old games far better than this one. Give it a miss is my advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carcass One
England
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Originally I read this review over 3 years ago and I just had to re-read it today because I could still remember it after that much time! As a newbie back then, I found the idea of reviewing this game to such detail absolutely hilarious. Well done! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.