Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed my first, recent playing of Oasis, and then I realized something disconcerting. Getting hemmed in never was a significant factor. Yeah, you always want to stay open to expand, but if it's a color you don't care about, you can live with it. If it's a color you do care about, you can start another group.

Well, to the degree this is true, then the game just becomes all about getting the right combination of cards - a pretty thin game.

So what are people's experience with the game? Have you had important plans foiled by an inability to expand - or have you always found a way around that obstacle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:How much does the board matter?
When played properly (and by properly, I mean people playing offensive and defensively with the card offers, the sets chosen, tile/camel placement) and with 5 players, the board seems to matetr a great deal. With less than 5 players, it is far too hard to contain territory and especially camels. The other main problem with new players is the don't often understand some key points of this game:

- don't let the leader have the #1 token every other turn, which means you can't keep taking his set -- no matter how good it is for you, sometimes sacrifces must be made

- get aggressive with the Stony Plains tiles, they are perfect for hemming in

- if a player is starting to mount a big lead (either in multipliers, or in a territory on the board) then...
1. Don't let him have the #1 pick
2. Do not to offer more than a card or two when it is clear he will benefit from them
3. Grab cards that you know he wants; you should be able to make nearly everything useful in this game, even if only to block!

- since the game is all about containment, CONTAIN! Contain each others holdings, be careful about what you offer, and most of all, don't let one player run away with a 26-camel chain

This is not a strategy guide, just a quick overview of how to make sure the game stays close. I suspect I have been in on more games of Oasis than anyone else on earth (except Alan & Aaron and their playtest team ), and these are the basics that I have seen make the game better.

It's not a hard game to play properly, so point these little things out to your players, then the games start to get tighter and tighter, and let the good times roll!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.