Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefano Sorbara
Italy
Venaria Reale
(TO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm intrigued by the game, but usually I play games with other 2 people.

I've read with interest your thoughts about 2 or 4 players, but has anybody played just in 3? What do you think about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:What about 3 players?
Dr.Octopus (#53769),
Yes, my only game so far was with three. I played Sauron, and I thought the tension and conflicting interests with Saruman actually worked pretty well. I can't say, of course, but it seems to me that 3-player may be the best version thematically. The only trick was figuring out the restrictions on the FP player. The rules are clear about not using consecutive actions (dice) on the same faction, but it's less clear what occurs when Event Cards are thrown in the mix. I unfortunately cannot recall the specifics, but I remember thinking on maybe two occasions that the FP was indirectly doubling up. It really is a disadvantage to have your actions chopped up (and possibly be denied one you were counting on, as I did twice to poor Saruman, unintentionally!), and that should be balanced on both sides.

In fact, along these lines, the rules about mixed factions seem a bit permissive. But they're pretty clear, so we followed them. So, in short, I think 3-player works fine, with perhaps a slight advantage to the FP, as he will have more "perfect" coordination. Whether that is enough to offset the 8-6 card disadvantage, I cannot say, but I suspect it is, again given the coordination problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Owen
United Kingdom
Appleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jon Waddington (#53771),

Yes, Jon, one of the really interesting aspects of the team games is needing to consider your partner's actions as well as your own. I have written a summary of one of our 3 player tests at:

http://home.rixtele.com/~charmtroll/wotr/wotr.htm

under the playtest archive
I believe the FP side is a little easier to play whatever the combination but it is such fun stomping on them as the Shadow player!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wondered about the Shadow victory conditions in a three player game. The way I understand it, if the fellowship player loses the game, the winner is determined by who has been most effective militarily between the shadow players.

I like this idea for a Military shadow victory (the player who contributed the most wins), but I'm less convinced for the corruption victory. In particular, it seems athematic that Saruman might win if the fellowship succumbs to corruption while within Mordor.

Before I start scheming on too many of my own house rules, I'd welcome comments from folks who've played this way. My general thoughts were to also track "Knowledge of Saruman" on the corruption track, and have it increase by things like revealing the friendship in his territory or having armies and leaders at the last known position of the fellowship. If he gets enough knowledge he can find and seize the ring as his own, but if the ringbearer falls to corruption, than Sauron wins.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Owen
United Kingdom
Appleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
PghArch (#53829),
Brian, interesting potential house rule. Unfortunately the shadow team has to work very closely together against a single FP player. Although your approach would more closely tie in with the book it would make a shadow victory very unlikely!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.