United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
My gang has fallen in love with HeroScape and we quickly purchased multiple copies to stage some massive battles. And many interesting arguments have developed over the best units in the game -- not just the most expensive/powerful, but for its point cost, the best bang for your (point) buck.

Most of the players think that the Izumi Samurai squad is the best value -- good speed, high defense, and a sweet special ability to make foes worried about closing.

One player insists the Airborne Elite, with their Drop ability and Grenade lob are the best... I personally think they're too frail and unreliable for 110 points (not to mention that it's very easy for a 2 attack grenade lob to not end up damaging anyone -- especially with the defensive powers of so many units).

I think our group pretty much unanimously voted that Sgt. Drake Alexander was the most overpriced... Decent melee, but not exceptional speed, and no range, despite the fact he's carrying around an enormous machine gun.

What do you think? Which army unit(s) are the absolute best values? Which special abilities do you value more than the others? I'm interested in hearing some chatter on this... Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Newell
United States
Pasadena
CA
flag msg tools
Re:Opinions sought: Best bang for the buck in basic set
Grimnak's ability is fearsome. Your opponent is guaranteed to have to dramatically react to his motions on the map field, and/or focus on killing him as quickly as possible. If your opponent falls into the "MUST FOCUS ALL FIRE ON UNIT THAT CAN KILL ME" mentality, Grimnak can be a fun distraction from the rest of your army getting into position.

I'd have to say my all around favorite, though, would be the Krav Maga Agents. "Mr. Anderson. Welcome back, we missed you."

As for Drake Alexander... Wow, most overpriced? He's incredible in some situations. His ability that makes him an invalid ranged target means he can hold off choke points pretty easily, he's also great for holding runes against opponents who focus on ranged units. Grappling hook can be pretty awesome too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
ynnen (#53855),

"Sgt. Drake Alexander was the most overpriced... Decent melee, but not exceptional speed, and no range, despite the fact he's carrying around an enormous machine gun."

It's not a machine gun, it's his grappling gun. That's why his range sucks.

Anyways, I think the Krav Maga Agents are a great bang for the buck. They have great defense to start off with with thier special ability, and can have near perfect defense if combined with the right units. They have good range and a decent attack too. Just keep them away from Grimnak!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ynnen (#53855),Alot depends on playing style. I know alot of my friends feel that Syvarris is the bomb with his two attacks long range. If you get the right glyphs he can be formidable. I like Dw 9000. Take high ground with good field of view. Grab a defense based glyph with one of your lackeys and DW 9000 can simply rule the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Duval
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
nobeerblues (#53891),
I love the water creatures....if you take one or two of them and keep rolling to bring back their fallen brotherin you can infinitely stay in the battle...I wiped out all the paratroopers and sgt Drake with their special ability...and thier cheap too. If you don't kill them all in one round your looking at a seriously long battle for a realatively small amount of points.

Just my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I must say Dr. Drake Ramore .. er .. I mean Sgt. Drake has dominated the few games we have played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos (#57174),

Yep. Drake is by far the best. He can't be hit at range, and then he attacks with 6 dice. Samurai are about the only way to slow him down...Or Chompy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I personally love the team of Will Smith from Men In Black, fighting alongside Agent Smith, Morpheus and Trinity from the Matrix series. It's crossover-tastic!

Now if only we could get some "real" licensed figures, or more good rip-offs. I'd like to see Aliens, Predator, and Halo characters.

Star Wars and LOTR are obvious choices, but I actually don't think they would lend themselves as well to the theme. Not to say I wouldn't buy them all if they mad ethem though! :-)

Seriously...Halo characters...think how much that would rock.

"My Master Chief can beat your dragon!"

"My Grunt Squad rolls for range!"

etc...oh the fun....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McLeod
Canada
ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would argue Airborne Elite are easily the best value. Why? They get several turns of free movement when they drop. With only 3 turn markers it can be tough choosing who to move, but with the AE they can be placed anywhere you want once they drop. And once they drop they will have high ground, range of 8 and 4 figures to fire. Their low defense often doesn't come into play because there is no one left alive within 8 spaces of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Harris
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
tylerbbb wrote:
I would argue Airborne Elite are easily the best value. Why? They get several turns of free movement when they drop. With only 3 turn markers it can be tough choosing who to move, but with the AE they can be placed anywhere you want once they drop. And once they drop they will have high ground, range of 8 and 4 figures to fire. Their low defense often doesn't come into play because there is no one left alive within 8 spaces of them.

I agree. Airborne Elite, without a doubt. I'd say they're the best unit in all the sets, actually. Always having high ground when they drop means you just dropped 4 Attack/3 Defense unit with 8 Range. Not just that... you dropped 4 of them.

I've played a lot of games, and I've only noticed 3 scenarios regarding the Airborne Elite, and in each they greatly affect the outcome of the game.

1) They drop early. This means they drop right beside the best glyphs and/or in very strategic positions. They'll be very hard for the enemy to dig out. They can decimate entire armies if they drop on the first turn.

2) They don't drop early. Usually this means that the armies are scattered about the board, and that you are losing. The Airborne Elite drop in strategic positions to quickly turn the tide. Whenever I've seen this scenario occur, the game almost always ends 2-3 rounds after the Airborne drop.

3) They don't ever drop. I've only seen this once. You will almost always lose if a good portion of your army doesn't ever drop. Usually, just when you think this is going to happen, you get them to drop and it turns into scenario 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.