Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Wooden Ships & Iron Men» Forums » General

Subject: Tweaks for Backing Sails rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I came up with this tweak while cross-refering WS&IM with the miniature rules Heart of Oak: In the Advance Rules for WS&IM, you are allowed to Back Sails whenever you like. Not only is this unrealistic, it also takes away much of the depth in naval tactics.

In the real world, a square-riggers (those having sails that are 90 degrees to the bowline) could Back Sail only when they are 'beating' or, in WS&IM terms, at attitude 'C' (bow is 60 degrees from the wind). By beating you are sacrificing speed for extra manoeuverability, this is especially important if you are trying to maintain a line of battle.

True historical decisions could not be appreciated if such a limitation is not implemented. In Trafalgar, the French fleet was beating into the wind before Nelson broke their line with the wind behind him. The French weren't stupid, they are just bound by good sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Tweaks for Backing Sails
WalterLai (#53910),
For a more realistic game check out Close Action,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Noonan
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because my Link Compulsion Disorder compels me:

* Close Action

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.