Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Schreiber
United States
Waynesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Tolerance for ambiguity is the first step in maturity.
mbmbmbmbmb
The 3-player version of Ticket to Ride has been a weekly addiction for my friends and I. And, never fail, there are a few routes between cities that people either jump on right away or are the ones that send us to the top of the draw pile in hopes we'll get the right color. You know, the routes that if you don't have them, you grimace when others get them.

Here are our top three routes:

1. New York - Pittsburgh

It may just be our group, but we'll choose tickets based on whether get the white or green needed to jump on this one right at the start. I'm amazed if a game goes three turns without this one being claimed. With two massive tickets aiming for New York, we all want a peice of it. And this placement gaurentees you have the most efficient route in and out of it. Everything else costs too many turns to get around.

2. Chicago - Pittsburgh

As much a factor of our emphasis on the Pittsburgh - New York route, I'm curious if other are as focused on this as we are. When someone jumps out and capture Chicago - Pitt - New York right away, we take notice. LA - NY, Denver - Pitts, Chicago - LA; we love to get that solid backbone through the center of the country so we have added options down the line.

3. El Paso - Los Angeles

Just like with NY, LA is must. The fabulous 15 points for this route aside, so much can rest on whether you can get in an out of LA. With LA - San Fran always going right away, and LA - Phoenix being used as a quick grab so you're involved with LA, this one has a make or break feel about it. It may not factor into every game, but we all look here when someone takes black tickets on more than one turn. And when it comes down, we take notice.

Honorable mention:
Los Angeles - San Francisco
Seattle - Vancounver
Portland - Seattle

I'm curious to hear what are the prime routes in your games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Re:Three Most Useful Routes
Chris Schreiber (#53999),

An undervalued stretch of track is the single line from Nashville to Atlanta. No one really jumps to take it, but listen to the curses fly when someone doesn't get it in time.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Chris Schreiber (#53999),

My group plays a lot more five-player than three-player, and I think in five-player New York-Pittsburgh is a lot less important, since there are ways around it. As Octavian says, Nashville-Atlanta can be very important, but my group doesn't undervalue it - players sometimes group it just on the off chance they will be building in that area much later in the game, or even purely as a blocking move.

New Orleans-Houston is often very important to someone, for the LA-Miami run, and as a result this is sometimes taken as a block. Otherwise, in my group I think we tend to race for to be one of the two people to claim part of a double-route in various places, depending on which region happens to be crowded this game. We often compete heavily for the long routes, too - LA-El Paso, El Paso-Houston, Seattle-Helena, Helena-Duluth, Duluth-Toronto, Calgary-Winnipeg, Winnipeg-Sault St. Marie. Portland-Salt Lake City and New Orleans-Miami receieve less attention, because they are less often in line with people's tickets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dore
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above commenter that NY-Pittsburgh is primarily a concern in 2 or 3 players.

I'm surprised Houston-NO didn't show up on your list, because that's the only route of length more than one I often buy on the very first turn.

Anyway, a few that haven't been mentioned:

In 4-5 player:
Toronto to Pittsburgh
Denver to Santa Fe
LA to Phoenix

In 2-3 players:
Houston to Dallas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hoppe
United States
Lewiston
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was surprised that no one had mentioned LA-Phoenix right away. I find that route to be the bane of my TTR-playing existence... I don't know how many times I've had tickets including both LA and Phoenix and then have to go all the way around to hit both cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus Chan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
seems too many 'critical' routes

I like the Houston-NO not because of LA-Miami, but there are many short routes to Houston and NO so you don't need to waste 3 rounds for 5 points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.