Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Dungeoneer for the first time today. In fact, I played a solo variant on the game as described in this article for Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord here on BGG.

As I said, it was my first game so it took me forever to figure out how to play. I found the rules rather confusing to read and I was constantly going back and forth through the book looking for a specific rule.

The game is fun to play for various reasons. It's quick to set up and get started. The combat is quick and simple so the game can go by relatively quick. It's fun to lay out the map litte by little and "explore" it that way.

I found the game rules rather hard to learn. This was mainly because of the layout of the rule book. When I needed to look up a rule I had missed or forgot, it was sometimes very very hard to find the right locatin for it. For example, I missed the section in the set-up that you first lay-out the Entrance and four passages around it. As I played my game, I started with only the Entrance on the table. The first card I drew was a passage. In the rulebook, the section on laying out maps said you can only place passages next to the entrance. Obviously, I wasn't supposed to play this card but it didn't say what I should do in this case. The rule I needed unfortunately was not listed anywhere in the section on playing map cards but was only listed in the set-up section of the rules.

Anyway, enough of that rant, once I got past learning the rules, the game was fun to play. The game isn't deep, but the exploring and combat is fun.

The game seems easy to add house rules to to alter it. For example, I think it may be fun to explore rooms as you enter them instead of spreading the map out each turn in any direction. It may give the game more a sense of really exploring. Combat can probably be fleshed out a bit. I didn't care to much for the idea that each fight is just one round.

I'm looking forward to trying out other expansions so I can explore larger dungeons.

The solo version of the game was fun to play and kept me interested. There were a few cards I could not use but for the most part, I felt like I was getting a pretty complete game, only lacking in player interaction. Once I got past the learning curve, I found the game easy to win. This was in part because I forgot to include a couple of rules. The game is random enough to allow repeated plays.

All in all, I'd say this is a good quick game for solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.