Subject: Clarification on Action Phase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm preparing to play my first game of Tide of Iron tomorrow and I'm unclear about a major rule in the game. It may be because it's late and I'm tired, but I am unclear about the exact order of the Action Phase. I know that each player has to at least make the number of actions indicated by the scenario (let's say 3). However, what order is this done in? Say I am the American and I have the initiative.

Do the 3 actions go:

Americans
Germans
Americans
Germans
Americans
Germans

Or does it go:

Americans
Americans
Americans
Germans
Germans
Germans

Also, in reading a ToI reference sheet, it says that after the initiating player can take no more actions, his opponent may take an unlimited number of actions until he has no more he can do. Does this mean an initiating player can only do the requirement (3) and the non-initiating player can do as many as he wants? Or can both players do as many as they want, but have to do at least 3 (or as defined by the scenario)?

Help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Check out my blog at www.rollingboxcars.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer your initial question. The action phase in conducted in 3 action segments at time starting with the player hold the initiative.

Example:

American
American
American
German
German
German
American
American
American
German
German
German

etc. etc. etc.

The players alternate, performing 3 action each till all thier units have performed something, even it you just fatigue a them.

Your second question adresses the issue of, when the player with the initiative has no more squads/units that can perform any type of action the other player may continue to perform actions with his squads till they have all performed some type of action.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. Seems I was reading the rules wrong then. There are a number of action phases before command comes into play? Basically each side has to do some kind of action to every single unit, but does so in groups of 3 (or whatever number set by the scenario)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
Note there are a couple of command cards that modify this. One gives you an extra four actions, so you might get to act with seven units in a row. Another cards acts as an "interupt" and lets you take aan action in the middle of an enemy group of three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hayes
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually played 4 games totally wrong because of the wording of that sentence. There is only 1 place in the rule book where it says, "after which the first player again takes another action turn, etc."

I was playing it like:
Axis Action
Axis Action
Axis Action
Allied Action
Allied Action
Allied Action
NEW TURN!

Which it totally wrong! You know know what the funny thing is? All 4 times we played it the wrong way, it was still fun. AND we somehow managed to be only 1 turn away from victory each time. But I can understand why you asked this question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.