Popular Tags: roads-and-boats-overlay [+] [View All]
Clinton Paris
United States
Post Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's been discussion on this subject before (see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/126003) but I decided on a solution for how to replace that darned roll of plastic: I laminated all the tiles.

Yes, it did take forever. But after being unhappy with just about every solution I tried (thanks again to everyone that made suggestions in the previous thread!) I opted to just fix the problem, tile by tile.

What I used:

- 1 roll of high-quality packing tape. I sprang for the thicker stuff that came in rolls with a width of 3 inches.
- 1 rotary cutting tool (see http://www.clickoncrafts.co.uk/imglib/11645?size=345x345)

I pulled off enough tape to put about 4 to 5 tiles on. Because the adhesive side was face up and the tiles were being put face down to laminate their surface, I had to make sure there would be no wrinkles. I did this by letting the roll hang over the edge of the table slightly while I held the loose end of the tape in place. This pulled the length of tape taught so that the tiles could be placed face down on without fear. I then used the cutting tool to cut all the excess tape off of each tile. I have to say, they look GREAT and the "lamination" is cut precisely to fit on each tile!

Who knows--maybe this solution will work for someone else out there, too!

Happy gaming!!

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally unnecessary.
For a couple dollars, you can go to Wal-Mart and buy some soft, clear vinyl covering. It's softer than the supplied vinyl, easy use and store and if rolled doesn't hold the curl like the supplied plastic does.
As an added bonus it sticks to most table tops like colorforms, making taping unnecessary too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
Tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty hardcore. I just throw a piece of plexiglass over the map. Sounds like you're pretty handy though. And anything to get the game played more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crparis wrote:
- 1 roll of high-quality packing tape. I sprang for the thicker stuff that came in rolls with a width of 3 inches.

Doesn't this stuff turn yellow after a year or two? gulp

I went the way of the Plexiglas, as it can be used with other games as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawk wrote:
crparis wrote:

Doesn't this stuff turn yellow after a year or two? gulp

It almost definitely will if it's in the sun. If not, hard to say for certain - it varies a lot from tape variety to variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
Tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just picturing a game of R&B at the beach. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tegenfeldt
Sweden
örnsköldsvik
domsjö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello im just wondering what version of this game is the newest one ?
Thinking on picking it up.

And if you know when is the next print run ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Ironhat
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3rd Edition is the current one. I don't think another print run is planned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I'm impressed with the amount of work you've put into that!! thumbsup

Thanks for sharing your solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I suggest all serious gamers invest in this system:

-buy 1 sheet of 1/8th inch thick 32x36ish sheet of acrylic (about $20)
-buy 1 sheet of 1/4th inch thick same size as above sheet of acrylic (about $40)
-buy 1 box small sized wide mouthed paper clips... these have one piece of bent metal (the clip) that can be held open by two other metal hoops while affixing. The metal hoops can then be flipped so that they are flat against the surface of what is being clipped.
-buy 1 large piece of felt that is a bit larger than the sheets

For games with paper or modular maps and large placement areas, simply use the thick sheet and felt. It is so heavy, that it shouldn't move much at all, and can be drawn on with grease pencil and easily wiped clean.

For games with paper or modular maps and small placement areas (like wargame hexes), the thick sheet will be too thick so you'll have to sandwich the components between the sheets, clip them with 2 clips per side, then play on the thinner sheet that will be thin enough to easily see where units are place on top of the small placement areas. The felt stops the clips from scratching your table, and holds the entire "rig" in place.

If you need to move the second kind of game, it can be easily done by moving the entire map (since the thick piece won't bend). If the map will be needed to be moved, you can also use the sandwich method for maps with large placement areas.

It *really* works well. Just make sure not to scratch it up by placing sharp metal on it, or dragging pieces over it (I've had mine for quite some time and it is nearly scratch free)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr has it right.

Go down to your local fabric store or Walmart and buy clear vinyl by the yard for a couple of bucks. Sometimes it's called clear table cloth cover. It lays flat, holds the tiles in place, can be written on by any overheard projector marker and stores in a small space.

We use ours for almost all modular board games. It also is wonderful for all the Empire Builder type games and other crayon games.

Because game pieces stick to it with friction so nicely we sometimes use it over gameboards that don't really need it just so when the table is bumped pieces just don't move.

If you are really paranoid and playing a valuable game and people have drinks on the table you can also just protect your game with it as a precaution. I don't let people put drinks on the table when playing my games, but it's still an idea.

-Helen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I went to Walmart and got some of the clear vinyl and also some of the rubber mesh stuff (I have no idea what it is really used for). I cut both into a 50cm square size (the size of the original plastic roll and the exact length of the box). I put the rubber mesh down first with the tiles on top. This keeps the tiles from shifting. Then I place the clear vinyl on top. It doesn't slide around and works great!

You can see it in action here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.