Subject: What next after Citadels? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xav Xav
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Citadels is one of the first game I bought to play with my friends. Fact is, the game played so well that we had dozens of play, both with my friends and with my family, though my parents and brothers cannot be considered ‘real gamers’.

Now I guess we played this game too much and are feeling the burnout. I tried to find some other games to replace it, but was unable to find any game that could strike the balance between
* Strong interaction between players (haha, I am the Condotierre, there goes your Tavern!)
* ‘Poker style’ with the character selection while trying to second-guess other players’ character choice
* Short game (less than an hour and a half with 6 players)
* Fun factor (Why did you kill me?! Ah damn I can’t say a thing until the turn is over!!!)

I’ve tried some other games with but they don’t quite fit with my aim to continue playing with my family. Though I really love the following games, Puerto Rico is too complex, San Juan does not have the same level of interaction, Caesar & Cleopatra plays only with two players, Wanted! (or Bang! in the French version) lacks the tactical and psychological depth…

Bruno Faidutti (the creator of the game) has written on his web page (http://www.faidutti.com/index.php?Module=mesjeux&id=328)
that if we like Citadels, we can try Castel… Have you tried this game yet? What other games would you recommend for light players willing to play another game than Citadels?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mission: Red Planet

Faidutti-ive, fast, interactive, character selective, backstabbing fun.

By Faidutti himself, characters including saboteur, femme fatale, pilot, etc., players try to get to Mars in 1888 and get the best mines, damaging opponent`s (steampunk-stylish!) rockets or send their astronauts right to the "Lost-In-Space-Memorial" - at the same time try to guess what character the other players will select and what special cards did their scientists put down to increase his profit ...?

Only issue: only up to 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Killoran
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two games that come to mind are Verrater and Fist of Dragonstones. Both have some strong similarities to Citadels. Verrater is a "tighter," more competitive game with role selection at its heart, and would probably appeal to players who find Citadels a bit too random. However, it accomodates only 4 players. Fist of Dragonstones shares the same fantasy-ish theme and art as Citadels, accomodates 6 players, and has a similar control/chaos relationship. Both games are as quick (or quicker) to play as Citadels. In my group, players who enjoy Citadels enjoy both of these games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Paulino Mora Lizano
Costa Rica
Asunción de Belén
Heredia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xman@pcisys.net wrote:
Two games that come to mind are Verrater and Fist of Dragonstones. Both have some strong similarities to Citadels. Verrater is a "tighter," more competitive game with role selection at its heart, and would probably appeal to players who find Citadels a bit too random. However, it accomodates only 4 players. Fist of Dragonstones shares the same fantasy-ish theme and art as Citadels, accomodates 6 players, and has a similar control/chaos relationship. Both games are as quick (or quicker) to play as Citadels. In my group, players who enjoy Citadels enjoy both of these games.

Meuterer is like Verräter, but I like it better. Faidutti has always said that he took the main character selection mechanic of Citadels from Verräter. Casasola, the author of Verräter, improved its game with Meuterer. So, in my opinion, this is a good spot to aim...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb
Without going into details, I'll only suggest another fun Bruno Faidutti game with strong interaction: Dragon's Gold (L'Or des Dragons en Français)

It holds 6 players max., playing time varies but should be around an hour.

I also own Castel/Castle (published in the same series) but haven't played it yet. I have read the rules and it looks to cover your prerequisites apart from the fact it holds a max. of 5 players.

As both these games are in small-box format, they don't cost much at all. Get both I would say.

I forgot... Did you try the expansion Citadels: The Dark City for some renewed life for the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Harris
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xavxav wrote:
What other games would you recommend for light players willing to play another game than Citadels?

I kinda asked myself this question recently when I got my group into Citadels. I did some scouting around (mostly on BGG, obviously!) and thought Race for the Galaxy looked a likely candidate. To the extent that I went out and bought it for my brother-in-law (and game group member) for Christmas. It is sitting under the tree as we speak and I'm *hoping* that it fills the same need for us both! Does anyone who has played both think RftG represents an obvious 'step-up' from Citadels?

Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.