Subject: Are starters random? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried reading everything and searching but I wasn't able to find any site/message/article that states that starter sets are random or not. Doesn't mean it isn't out there but I figured I would ask before I go more insane with searching...

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Are starters random?
michaeldavidcox (#54481),

the two starter sets (blue and red, based on the box color) are NOT random... they are set. every red starter is identical, every blue starter is identical. and thankfully, there are NO duplicate figures between the red and blue sets.

the two sets are very well balanced, and you can play competitively with just the figures in the starters -- either "as is" or by drafting/configuring teams based on those figures. the boosters then contain figures discrete from those found in the starters, to reduce duplication. there are some "chase" versions (painted versions) of figures from the starters, which theoretically allow you to field multiple copies of the same figure -- otherwise you're restricted to one of any particular piece.

however, you can also get additional figures online far cheaper than buying boosters... i'd recommend going on eBay and hand-picking 6-10 more figures that catch your eye to fill out your collection and add some variety. for an extra $15-20 on top of the starter, you'll have more than enough variety to keep you going for a good, long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.