Goran Topic
Japan
Kita-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Two questions:

1. Do guardians and archons count against a build limit?
If I have one pylon (build limit 3), can I buy three templars and transform two into an archon, or can I just buy two if I'm making an archon?

2. Can you transform the units that were bought in the current build order?
What is the timing on the transformation? Is it before the standard units, in which case the mutalisk / the templars need to already be available on the planet before the build order triggers - or is it after the normal units get built, in which case I can buy the "raw materials" and transform them immediately within the same build order?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Åman Pohjola
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmb
amadan wrote:
Two questions:

Yes.

Quote:
If I have one pylon (build limit 3), can I buy three templars and transform two into an archon, or can I just buy two if I'm making an archon?

Just two.

Quote:

Yes. Edit: seems I was full of crap. Sorry

Quote:
What is the timing on the transformation? Is it before the standard units, in which case the mutalisk / the templars need to already be available on the planet before the build order triggers - or is it after the normal units get built, in which case I can buy the "raw materials" and transform them immediately within the same build order

I don't think that's clearly defined, but I'd say it's neither before or after, but during. I have seen nothing that would indicate the timing for building tech-required units is in any way different from building other units. So you could build a mutalisk, morph it into a guardian, and then build two zerlings to go with it, all in the same build order.

Of course, that would yield the same results as the 'after' scenario.
Edit: seems I was full of crap. Sorry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Champie
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I'm pretty sure you can't use units you just bought... representing the increased setup time for these units.

I remember reading that they units must already be on the planet somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
You can't build a unit and transform the same unit in the same action. Sorry. This is in the rulebook under "tech required units" IIRC.

They do count against the build limit, that's in the rulings stickied at the top of the FF Starcraft site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick K

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
amadan wrote:
Two questions:

These units count towards the unit build limit.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=...

Quote:
Question:
Quote:
When upgrading a mutalisk to a guardian (or two high templar to an archon), does the upgraded unit count towards the build limit for that build order?

Answer: Corey - http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=...
Quote:
Tech required units count towards the build limit the same as a normal unit.

amadan wrote:

No. The units must exist at the beginning of the build order. From p. 38 of the rule book.

Quote:
As these Technology cards state, to build tech-required
units requires the active player to destroy existing, specific
friendly unit(s) as an additional “cost” of building the new
unit. “Existing” means that a player can only destroy a unit
that existed on the active planet before the Build order
was executed. Then, the new tech-required unit must be
placed in the area that contained one of the units that was
destroyed to build it.

amadan wrote:
What is the timing on the transformation? Is it before the standard units, in which case the mutalisk / the templars need to already be available on the planet before the build order triggers - or is it after the normal units get built, in which case I can buy the "raw materials" and transform them immediately within the same build order?

The timing isn't specified other than the units that you destroy must have existed prior to the build order. Say you have all three high templar out so you wouldn't be able to build any more. You may combine two into an archon before building units. This allows you to then build a high templar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goran Topic
Japan
Kita-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. That was how we played, but I did not find the rules to back it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.