Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
Yawn... oh, sorry, just got done "playing" Mille Bornes and I haven't totally woken up yet. The wife and I are waiting on some new games and wanted to play something, anything, that we haven't played in a while. So, we broke out our curiously still new box of Mille Bornes. There was a cursory review of the rules and the flags went down and we quickly... stood still. Our first hand actually went along smoothly with a few hazards played back and forth and the corresponding remedies righting the way and the miles ticking off in a staccato rhythm. One of us got the 700 miles, we tallied points and dealt again. The second hand proved a little more torturous. We each played a hazard on each other, then drew cards alternatingly. And drew. And drew. And drew. Then... drew some more. I thought we were cruising to a lock up situation (which simply ends with reshuffling and starting over--narrowly subverting a "broken game" situation). Finally, 3/4 of the way through the deck, I got the spare tire I needed and four turns later reached my goal of 700. Then we started shuffling for the third hand. My wife's eyes drifted to a nearby magazine and I became preoccupied with a piece of purple lint on the corner of the table. Realizing that our current diversions were significantly more interesting to us, we both said at the same time, "you win; let's do something else." I can see the game being fun years ago before we had fun, interaction, engaging, tough-decision laden, blast-to-play games. It was enormously popular when I was a kid because we didn't know any better. The truth is, you only have one decision to make while playing this game: namely, do I play mileage or do I attack my opponent? And that decision isn't really that difficult because usually you should attack your opponent and play your mileage next turn. So, really that isn't a decision. I guess you can decide which hazard to play if you have 2. And I guess you can decide whether or not to play any 200s or go for the safe trip, but that's about it. Otherwise, it's draw, play or discard, think about burritos, draw, play or discard, think about whether or not to mow the lawn tomorrow, draw... etc. I should know better about a game I bought specifically to hijack the card tray only to find it to be see-through-thin plastic that only holds bridge-gauge cards. My shipment including Hera & Zeus should be here tomorrow and I will wait by the window for the blessed UPS truck. Maybe I'll offer the driver my pristine copy of Mille Bornes for his trouble. Then again, I wouldn't even wish this game upon my enemies, let alone the bringer of new games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.