Subject: AGOT Planning Variant for Beginners rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a Game of Thrones based mechanic which simplifies the Planning & Execution phase that I think could be useful for beginners.

Rules as per standard StarCraft game except:

1) Place the Action tokens face down in a line (left to right) beside each planet (instead of a stack). Players can look at any of their face down actions at any time but they can not change the order of any placed ones.

2) Action Tokens are always executed from the rightmost (top) token in the line. The rightmost Action token is therefore still capable of blocking the other actions on the left.

Main differences:

The main difference is that players get to see their own tokens in the placement phase.

It becomes less of a memory game and saves having to use a pen and paper.

Player's won't be able to prevent blocking and may still end up scewing up their order placement (a common feature for beginners).

However, the ability to view their own action tokens throughout means that they should realise any mistakes much sooner in the planning phase.

Once you get comfortable with the other complexities of the game, it's then easier to progress to the standard Planning and Execution rules which make each of the actions completely secret until actioned.

Edit: I removed the suggestion to turn all tiles face up in the execution phase (like A Game of Thrones) as I prefer to play them face down as required in the original rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ditchburn
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like this would just make it even more confusing to learn the proper rules. I don't mind letting people check to see what they put into a stack while they are first learning the game but flipping over all of the action tokens when the execution phase starts feels like looking at everyone elses hand in a game of poker... I feel like learning it this way would make it more confusing when you finally do play it properly as well.

Just my two cents though. I haven't found the rules to this game to be that difficult once you actually get through the chore of reading them all. It's weird placing your actions in reverse order to how they are resolved but I feel like once you resolve the first turn if you made any huge mistakes you are much more likely to remember in the next turn to place them properly. You just have to make it very clear to everyone before you start that things resolve in the reserve order from how they are placed.

Then again I guess everyone learns things differently so what do I know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
In our group I'm one of the two people who often screws up the stack placement. I moved that we allow viewing of your own already placed orders, on the grounds that we weren't playing "Memory", but all the other players, including the guy who screws up as often as me, vetoed this idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
In our group I'm one of the two people who often screws up the stack placement. I moved that we allow viewing of your own already placed orders, on the grounds that we weren't playing "Memory", but all the other players, including the guy who screws up as often as me, vetoed this idea!

Yes, The Alien races that I control are the most feared throughout the Universe for their technical voracity in warfare.

They are the undisputed, consumate proponents of the Art of War. Unfortunately, they are often heard to say 'Now, exactly which of the many fiendish plans that we just thought about, did we finally commit to?'.

However they will soon be unmasking the greatest technology card in any of the decks:

The Paper and Pen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petras Ražanskas
Lithuania
Kaunas
Kauno apskritis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve99 wrote:
However they will soon be unmasking the greatest technology card in any of the decks:

The Paper and Pen.

My sources tell that the same technology card also helps a lot the historians of the future to figure out what the hell actually happened and write detailed after-action reports, analyses and stuff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume the only reason you are prohibited from looking at already placed orders is to prevent people "accidently" looking at other people's tokens in a stack. Your idea of putting them in a row seems a reasonable alternative to me, if this aspect annoys you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.