Popular Tags: Abstract [+] Children [+] Family [+] Multi-Player [+] [View All]
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so I should have shopped earlier for Qwirkle but I figured that I would be able to find it easily in Toys R Us, or Kaybee Toys, or Walmart, or Target. Wrong, wrong, wrong, and oh by the way...WRONG!!! shake

So I bought her (my gaming 7 year old daughter) Blokus instead. What would there be not to like...colorful packaging, awards up the kazoo, and manipulatives in all sorts of shapes.

Come Christmas morning...the look was sour...yuk
"I did not get what I wanted!" (spoiled little rug rat...I blame her mother...but this time it was really my fault for not doing my shopping earlier).
So we got through the pouting and the hissy fit... cry and then I said the magic words, "If you want I will game Blokus with you." The "Okay" was more like a let's humor daddy but gaming is always cathartic.

So we opened up the box. Immediate "Ooooohs" and "Ahhhhhs". Nice crystalline colors. thumbsup Score 1 for the colors! cool

Next we opened the packages. Immediate "Oh wow!". Look at all the different shapes. This one is like a C, and this one like an L...then I don't know what this one is like but it is funny! thumbsup Score 2 for the shapes.

Then we looked at the instructions. "Daddy. What are these?" pointing to all the awards the game received. "Oh those are all the medals this game has won because people think it is so awesome!" She immediately yelled for her sister to come look at how great her game was. Not being able to contain herself she ran to find her. I could hear her from across the house telling her sibling of the fact that this is the most awarded game in the world. thumbsup Score 3 for the promotion.

Then we gamed. The initial rounds went to daddy but Joy got idea after idea as we played;
1 After the first round..."I have to lay all of my pieces down!"...
2 Then the second round..."I have to have enough space to lay all of my pieces down!"...
3 Then the third round..."I should put down my bigger and more oddly shaped pieces first as they are harder to place later in the game!"...
4 Then the fourth round..."I can lay my pieces along the edges of daddy's pieces! (she actually thought of this first as I had not bothered to model it...she is quite intuitive)"...and this is when we both layed all of our pieces down...and we both "Won!"
5 Then the fifth round..."I can lay my pieces down and Block you...Hey thats why they call it Blokus!", I really love my little gamer...
6 Then the sixth round..."This would be better with three people daddy!", and she ran to grab her sister and pull her into the game. arrrh

She loves Blokus and now has her sister playing it as well. Now what was the name of that other game???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin S
Poland
Warszawa
EU
flag msg tools
M s b S
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it for the first time about a week ago, with my wife and two friends. None of us had ever played Blokus - and we all loved it! We only had two rounds (Blokus was the last game of the evening) and we realy did see how our playing skills improved. I agree that this is a great game for kids. The rules are very simple, and the presentation is awesome: just like your daughter, the four of us (in late 20s/early 30s) just LOVED the quality and colours of the pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Margaret ONeill
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
This is one of my favorite games. I have loved it since came out.
What I like best of all is that I can play it with novices and seasoned gamers alike. (Although it is a much more challenging game when you have people who game.)

I have a couple of friends who play just for the pretty patterns they can make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My six year old got this for Christmas and I talked her into letting me trade it for Qwirkle. Then the local store was out of Qwirkle so I brought it back home and she was sniffling because she really wanted to keep it, even though I gave her travel blokus. So we kept it and she ripped it open and looked at it. I used to own it a year or so ago but traded it for something really rare, like Hans im Gluck's Tigris and Euphrates. So a timely article!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like you all I knew it was a top rated game, I just did not realize how much all of us would enjoy it. It is really engaging and fun.

Still, I see Qwirkle on the horizon for both Craniac and I!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Epp
Canada
Abbotsford
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report Erik, I was really able to envision how the day "played" out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.