Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Biafra variant

OK, looks like I played a few more sessions of Biafra and I found that when playing with the original rules, there is little chance that the Federals will actually win the game.

The main problem is due to the Federals relying to much on the random events table in order to get RPs while the Biafrans already have a steady source of RPs in the form of controlling the oil wells at Bonny.

There is a gamey problem of control since if a orange hex is vacant, then it is under Biafran control so the Federal player can just move in and out of the hex and the Biafran player will be losing 1 endurance point per turn.

After playing with the following variant rules, I found the game to be balanced and more historical, I actually managed to follow the historical flow of the war.

Biafra war ATO variant

Some additions and changes to the rules.

2.1 Random events.

When Major power Intervention event is rolled. The whole event is only void when the three possible aids(UK, USSR and France) are rolled though if one of the aid is already rolled then that one is void for the whole game.

When aid is rolled, it becomes valid throughout the whole game(eg. If French aid is rolled, the Biafrans get 1d6 resources every mobilization phase).

9.0 Mobilizaton

The only RPs players receive on the first turn are their starting RPs(Federals 3d6, Biafrans 1d6).

The Federals receive 1d6 RP every turn(except the first and have to have to control a port or airfield to receive them).

Note: The map only features the Southern Part of Nigeria and the Northern part of Nigeria is controlled by the Federals and while the Southern part constitutes a good(and majority) portion of the Nigerian income, the Northern part also generates income for the Federals. Historically, the Federals and Biafrans had problems with income but this was actually more graver and desperate for the Biafrans.

Federals receive units when bought via random chit draw.

Control of the oil wells at Forcados and Bonny is through control and not occupation(see the control rules at this variant.

10.0 Endurance

When the Biafran player loses 1 point of Endurance when a orange colored town or city is captured by the Federals it is only a one time affair and happens each time this event happens. The Biafran player does not lose Endurance every turn due to the Federals occupying orange towns or cities.

11.1 Midwest Neutrality

The moment Midwest State neutrality is violated by either side, the all hexes in the Midwest state becomes Biafran controlled(unless occupied by Federal units).

Note: The Midwest State Army defected to the Biafrans since it was mostly staffed with Ibo officers when it was invaded by the Biafran “Boomerang” offensive of August 9, 1967 and the Midwest State was overrun with little difficulty by the Biafrans

Control:

I think the control rules should work this way:

1. All hexes in the Western State, Kwara state, and Benuateau state are at the start of the game at the control of the Federal player.

2. All hexes in Biafra are at the start of the game under the control of the Federal player.

3. A hex is put under control by a unit occupying it at the end of the turn. This takes precedence over control rules #1 & 2.

was also using the following rules.

5.4 Rail movement

A unit must disembark in order to attack but defends nornally if attacked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Lau
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gangrel wrote:
Biafra variant

There is a gamey problem of control since if a orange hex is vacant, then it is under Biafran control so the Federal player can just move in and out of the hex and the Biafran player will be losing 1 endurance point per turn.

Paul Rohrbaugh has said on CSW that the loss of the 1 Endurance point for the Ibo town only occurs ONCE per game with its initial capture. It's not regained even if the town is regained by the Biafrans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Co
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, he did but that's before I posted this variant.

Anyways, its a variant, so your choice whether to implement it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My impression was that this makes life too easy on the Biafran's. I played the "variant" that endurance is lost per captured town/city per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.