Simply Catan» Forums » General

Subject: Compatible with standard Catan extension components? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
origami freak
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Can anyone tell me if Simply Catan is compatible with the other Catan components, for example the 5-6 player expansion, etc? (i.e. are the tiles the same size so they'd work together?)

It's an appealing idea as a starter set, but the appeal diminishes if it can't grow to accomodate the other add-ons...

Thanks for your insights!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myk Deans
United States
Rotonda West
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I checked my copies of each game, and the tiles are different sizes. Also, the Simply Catan version uses a board frame to surround the tiles, which has all the ports printed on it, rather than separate port tiles. Neat in that it prevents the tiles from being knocked across the table, but it does hinder the use of any expansions.

I normally recommend that if you at all plan to use any of the expansions, then go with the Mayfair edition. If not then the SimplyFun edition is a good option. (fwiw, my expansions sit unused on the shelf, as we just play the base game - the expansions mostly just add time, without really adding a worthwhile amount to the gameplay. ymmv.)

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wink
United States
Eagleville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would work with Cities & Knights as long as you were willing to have the Barbarian ship "double tile" off to the side of the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.