Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dale Martin
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. Unnatural Transformation, following a successful test, adds a +2 experience counter in each of Ranged, Melee, and Magic. The drawback is that "for the rest of the game you cannot take 'exhaustion' from any source, even to activate your own abilities or Items." Does this mean that the player would NEVER take exhaustion (including from a failed Before Combat roll, for example, that instructs the player to take exhaustion as a result of the failed test) or that the 'no exhaustion' restriction only applies to any exhaustion taken voluntarily (such as to use 'Touch of Death)?

2 The Skeleton of Margath reward indicates that the player "Take the High Lord Margath card from the red adventure deck. You must resolve that Challenge immediately, and may not escape." Does a player who defeats the Skeleton of Margath (but fails to defeat the High Lord and is knocked out) take the adventure counter after defeating the Skeleton of Margath or must both challenges be defeated (admittedly, defeating the High Lord makes this question irrelevant since the game is over)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dmart wrote:
1. Unnatural Transformation, following a successful test, adds a +2 experience counter in each of Ranged, Melee, and Magic. The drawback is that "for the rest of the game you cannot take 'exhaustion' from any source, even to activate your own abilities or Items." Does this mean that the player would NEVER take exhaustion (including from a failed Before Combat roll, for example, that instructs the player to take exhaustion as a result of the failed test) or that the 'no exhaustion' restriction only applies to any exhaustion taken voluntarily (such as to use 'Touch of Death)?

Using this card means that you never, ever take exhaustion from any source. You can't voluntarily do so, and if you're required to take it from an encounter or any other card that exhaustion will immediately become wounds.

Quote:
2 The Skeleton of Margath reward indicates that the player "Take the High Lord Margath card from the red adventure deck. You must resolve that Challenge immediately, and may not escape." Does a player who defeats the Skeleton of Margath (but fails to defeat the High Lord and is knocked out) take the adventure counter after defeating the Skeleton of Margath or must both challenges be defeated (admittedly, defeating the High Lord makes this question irrelevant since the game is over)?

I'd give 'em the experience counter - they beat the encounter that they drew, just not the follow-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Martin
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, two somewhat different answers regarding the first card. I'd be curious to know if an official clarification has been made for Unnatural Transformation. Does the 'no exhaustion' restriction translate to 'immediate wounds'? I would tend to think not, since theoretically, a character does not convert exhaustion to wounds unless the character's stamina limit has been reached. My only other quest for clarification regarding the Skeleton of Margath revolves around the word 'immediately' in the reward, which led us to believe that the second adventure is, in fact, part of the first adventure.

I sent both questions to FFG for a formal reply (which I'll post here when received).

Edited for fat fingers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjtuell wrote:
I'm not sure about this interpretation. On page 6, the rulebook says: "When the number of exhaustion counters exceeds the card's Stamina, the excess exhaustion is immediately converted to wounds." I would say that if you don't take the exhaustion in the first place, it doesn't convert to wounds. Is there an official ruling on this?

Good question. I've played it with "never take" meaning your stamina had effectively dropped to 0. But if you play it as being immune to losses of exhaustion altogether, then your wording works.

I think mine's truer to the wording of the card, though. It doesn't say "you do not take" it says you "cannot." To me, that means that you don't have the physical ability to use exhaustion, not that you now ignore its existence. So if you have to "take" exhaustion from a source and are prohibited from doing so, you'll immediately have to take wounds.

But it's worth asking FFG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zebro
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unnatural Transformation: We have played where the stamina is effectively reduced to zero.
Please post FFG's Reply.

Skeleton of Margath: "immediately" implies that there is no refresh step. So keep in mind any activated items do not refresh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Martin
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Answers received from FFG (specifically, Jason Steinhurst):

1. Unnatural Transformation: Yes, you cannot use exhaustion in any manner. This card basically turns your hero into a hero with a "0" Stamina. Exhaustion that would have to be taken as a result of failing a test is taken as wounds, just as if the hero had zero Stamina.

2. The Skeleton of Margath: You do get to collect the adventure counter before the challenge with the High Lord. However, you would not be able to 'cash in' the adventure counter for XP because the Experience Step isn't until Step 5, and the Adventure Step is Step 3.

I'll be nice to my wife and refrain from saying, "I told you so."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dmart wrote:
I'll be nice to my wife and refrain from saying, "I told you so."

Nice to your wife? Don't you mean "I'll avoid sleeping on the couch for the next week and refrain from saying 'I told you so?'"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Martin
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My wife tends to get carried away with competitiveness in many games, and Runebound is no exception. I risk sleeping on the couch whenever that game is broken out. Her New Year's resolution is to soften her competition streak and she's doing a great job so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dmart wrote:
Answers received from FFG (specifically, Jason Steinhurst):

1. Unnatural Transformation: Yes, you cannot use exhaustion in any manner. This card basically turns your hero into a hero with a "0" Stamina. Exhaustion that would have to be taken as a result of failing a test is taken as wounds, just as if the hero had zero Stamina.

Probably a given, but I assume once you use this to get the +2 counters, your hero jumps up 3 levels?

This card seems too powerful, even with it's reduction of Stamina to 0. If you have a character with no "Take 1 stamina to re-roll, etc." skill, it doesn't impact very much...plus you are most likely to try the test when you are ready to hit the Reds, as a quick boost to your Hero. Seems like a guaranteed path to victory once you pass the test - unless you are unlucky enough to draw one of the reds that can give you stamina counters (which would be converted directly to wounds) if you fail the before combat trial.

Of course, we've only played this deck once, and my wife was successful in her "transformation" going on to quickly knock out the reds and win. maybe I'm bitter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a powerful card, yes. I'm not sure about too powerful, though. There are many items you can't use any more, and many of the tests you'll run into inflict stamina as the effect of failing. I haven't seen anyone use the card (always been a reason not to).

Look at it this way - most heroes have 4 stamina, which is 2 experience counters. They'll be a net +1 counter after using the card, and really less than that since they really end up taking any future stamina as wounds right off the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.