Subject: First rate and challenging strategy game for 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Phillips
United States
Woodacre
California
flag msg tools
Tigris and Euphrates looks great. So does El Grande. Those come close to what I'm looking for. But how well do they play with just 2 players?

Other recommendations?

Thanks.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
El Grande plays better with more.
T&E is pretty solid with 2, but there is better.

Check here...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/674

or here...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/4500

Or search for 2-player games in the List search.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people like T&E a lot 2 player, but for me it's best with 3 or 4. (Note: I'm in the middle of a 2 player T&E game here on BGG with the new "Nile" map, we'll see if it changes my preference...) I haven't played El Grande, but I've heard that it isn't very good with two. I'm sure you'll get better info from other people about EG though.

Anyway, for two player strategy games, I'd recommend Samurai, Goa, and Through the Desert over those two. All three of these games play great with two players and have lots of strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goa
La Città
Louis XIV
Torres
König von Siam
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization

We play 2p El Grande using my variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
El Grande
If you are looking for Area Control:

Aton
Sun Tzu

Tigris and Euphrates
From a abstract tile-laying with conflict perspective:

Reef Encounter
Gheos

Edit: For other two-player games:

Mr. Jack - A two-player abstract deduction game
Louis XIV or Mykerinos - Area Control games that scale well from 2 - 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played T&E, but I'm a big El Grande fan. However, it's just not that good a 2 player game. Most people would say, and I would agree, that you need at least 4 to really get the most out of the game. Some recommendations for you to consider:

1960: The Making of the President - A new kid on the block, but an excellent area control game that is card driven. Mildly similar to El Grande since that's also a card driven area control game. 2 player only.

Caylus - A heavy hitter with an economic focus. It has no luck, and encourages long term planning. Fans are divided on how well it plays with 2, but I'm solidly in the "great with 2" camp. It's a bit dry for some tastes, so read up on it a bit before deciding for yourself.

Torres - Seconding this recommendation. Plays 2-4, and scales great across that range. Definitely a thinker, and the board looks very cool when the game is over. Even better, there are two ways to play - with and without luck. Both are very playable, so you can choose whichever you prefer.

Dungeon Twister - Definitely a different beast than the ones you're looking at, but when it comes to deep strategy and variety it's hard to beat Dungeon Twister. A good mix of abstract strategy and thematic presentation, this one's a brain burner. 2 player only.

It's a pretty scattered list, but they're all solid strategy games that play well with 2 players. I hope you found it helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel silverthorne
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I love Twilight Struggle, which should meet your requirements listed above. And i think 1960: The Making of the President should also be up there. good luck and thanks you all for the for the other suggestions i will be looking at them as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Rutt
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffk wrote:
Torres - Seconding this recommendation. Plays 2-4, and scales great across that range. Definitely a thinker, and the board looks very cool when the game is over. Even better, there are two ways to play - with and without luck. Both are very playable, so you can choose whichever you prefer.

Dungeon Twister - Definitely a different beast than the ones you're looking at, but when it comes to deep strategy and variety it's hard to beat Dungeon Twister. A good mix of abstract strategy and thematic presentation, this one's a brain burner. 2 player only.

I recomend the above two as well, however I dont recommend El Grande with 2, I think it palys best with 4 or 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.