8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: High-Quality Playing Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S. P. Harris
United States
flag msg tools
Hi - does anyone have recommendations for good quality playing cards? I just splurged on a Piatnik deck (Tudor Rose) and the artwork is gorgeous but the cards are very slick & stiff and are not good for me.

I would like some cards with a good linen finish - these seem ideal for me. Sturdy but flexible.

For instance, these games all have good quality (for me) cards:
Al Cabohne (Amigo), No Thanks (Z-Man), and Money (Goldsieber). They are flexible with good texture. The No Thanks are a little thin, however, they seem sturdy enough (at least for this game).

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the Kem cards. They are made of pure plastic, so can be bent, washed, whatever, and spring back. Also, the company will sell you individual replacement cards.

They are more slippery than normal cards, but once you get used to that, they shuffle very easily.

They will cost about $20 for a 2-deck set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd vote for Kem cards. If a card ever chips you can order replacements for individual cards from the factory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found Modiano to be the best.

The are also plastic, but thicker than KEM or Copag.

I also have had color bleed problems with KEM and Copag.

Kem, when washed, the red ink would smudge a little.

Copag, the ink from front of card would rub onto back of the next card while stored.

http://www.modianocards.com/index.php

I found an eBay supplier to get a couple decks, but it seems the Modiano website is having a sale, 2 decks for $9.95 (not incl. s/h).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
snicholson wrote:
I really like the Kem cards. They are made of pure plastic, so can be bent, washed, whatever, and spring back. Also, the company will sell you individual replacement cards.

Actually Kem cards are cellulose acetate, which isn't actually a plastic.

Quote:
They are more slippery than normal cards, but once you get used to that, they shuffle very easily.

All the other vendors of plastic cards, Copag etc, use vinyl. They have a rather different feel. Only Kem uses cellulose acetate. Both types take some getting used to, but with modest care (a little cornstarch or zinc stearate does wonders) can last a dozen years of heavy play.

Quote:
They will cost about $20 for a 2-deck set.

The critical difference for me between the Kem cards and the Copag is that the jokers in Kem decks are not distinguishable and they are distinguishable in Copag decks. Many games require differentiatable jokers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. P. Harris
United States
flag msg tools
Thank you everyone for the suggestions - I will check them out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
There's a lot of information on this site:
http://www.homepokertourney.com/cards-buyers-guide.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. P. Harris
United States
flag msg tools
fofluff wrote:
Hi - does anyone have recommendations for good quality playing cards? I just splurged on a Piatnik deck (Tudor Rose) and the artwork is gorgeous but the cards are very slick & stiff and are not good for me...

For the record, I wanted to update my opinion on the Piatnik cards. These are much more flexible than I originally thought. I was afraid to shuffle them because of the initial stiffness - I thought they would "crack" instead of bend...however, once they have been firmly shuffled a few times, they seem very nice! Sturdy & not really too slick. I really like them now. I would buy this brand again - and they have such great choices in artwork. My Thoughthammer wishlist is full of different decks!

I bought a set of plastic Modiano cards, too. I like that they probably will never get ruined or worn out - they are a bit slick, though.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.