Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing Talisman with my 2 boys, ages 6 and 9. I thought I would share a few of the house rules we use.

> We use all of the speedy rule suggestions in the back of the rulebook, except that we increase the additional points rule. We give each player 1 additional craft and strength (which is actually more than the recommendation in the rules).

> We do not have player vs. player combat or theft. I know this makes the game fun for many, but I have found that my kids at least don’t like PvP attacks in multi-player games. Under our house rules if you land on a space with another character you can either encounter the space or encounter the character. If you encounter the character you can trade with him. I am sure we will rescind this rule when they are older, but it works well for us now. Due to this house rule, we removed some of the spell cards that only involve attacking other characters (eg. Hex). Also, some of the characters are weakened by this (eg. the Assassin and Sorceress), but it has not proved much a problem in our games. We also have to modify some of the events in the game, such as the Warlock’s Cave quest for taking another character’s life (we just re-roll).

> Characters don’t die; they get knocked out when they get to 0 life. A character who is knocked out goes back to a specified place on the board (if the character died in the outer region, he goes to his starting place, in the middle region he goes to the doctor, etc). He loses all his gold and followers but he keeps his objects. I got this idea from Runebound.

We have a lot of fun with the game, as you can see from my review in the Gaming with Children section. I am trying to keep the games to under 1 hour per session, but we are not hitting that yet. Hopefully we will with experience or I may tinker with the rules some more.

Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.