Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found the card Diersified Economy to be extremely powerful.

Here is my strategy for using it, if you find it in your starting hand, or very early on:

1) Build a Windfall world (or start with Alpha Centauri).

2) Trade the windfall good.

3) Build a production world, preferably one that makes a good and a card.

4) Produce.

5) Alternate trading and producing, leeching off opponents settles and develops to make diversified economy and more production worlds. Your goal is to set it up so you are getting cards off both the produce and the trade.

6) As soon as you can use the diversified economy's consume ability, switch to 2x VPS/Produce cycle.

You want production worlds that make cards. You dont really need consume abilities much, since the diversified economy takes care of that. You want cards that make goods and cards, such as Comet Zone, Lost species arc world, and Mining Conglomerate. Failing that, production worlds are the next best option.

Its ok to build the diversified economy very early, even when making only 1 good. It gives you more cards on the produce. I like to get it down when I can, and then build into the ability to use it more effectively.

A key to the strategy is that after the first couple turns, you dont develop or settle, you just use your opponents phases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played 5 times so far, but I'll look to try this strategy next time, if the opportunity presents itself. My first 4 games I went the military route and won 3 of the 4 (I was getting no-brainer starting hands for it most of the time though), but my last game I went the production route and managed to squeeze off two 2x consume phases worth 8 and then 10 points. I managed a 4 point win. I more or less just winged it though out of curiosity for how well a production strategy would fare against a military one. I know I could have done a lot better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I was actually able to to play RftG tonight with my father and brother. I drew Diversified Economy semi-early, so I decided to mold my game around it. It was actually the 7th card in my tableau by the time I was able to play it, and it only triggered for one production phase, but part of that was due to my brother and I guessing wrong that the other would choose produce late in the game. I was also only able to use it once with a 2x consume. Even so, at 4 card draws and 6 VPs (my tableau only had one other consume power; so I needed it; also it's worth two VPs by itself), I'd say it was well worth the investment. It could have easily triggered two times if my guessing hadn't gone wrong, and if I were able to get it out there even earlier I now see how it can indeed be a powerhouse. As it was, I still won by 13 points. I'll definitely look to enable this strategy again in the future whenever possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally find Diversified Economy to be a good mid-game choice. Early on I'm looking for solid, coherent strategies - military (particularly if I'm New Sparta), rares/brown (particularly if I'm Alpha Centauri), genes/green, novelties/blue, developments, etc. If I play a first production world but don't find a good follow up for that strategy, I might play a production world of a different color, just to keep moving (can't stagnate). THEN if I draw or I'm holding Diversified Economy, I'll look for a production world of a 3rd, different color and probably try to play Diversified Economy. If I can manage those, then I'm set for a decent start at a consume x2/produce strategy.

One note: As with any consume/produce strategy, it's particularly beneficial to find additional ways of drawings cards on those phases. For example, worlds that give you cards for producing, the development that gives you a card when consume is called, etc. One time I had Diversified Economy down with at least 4 production worlds with 2 of those worlds giving me 1 & 2 cards for each produce. With DE, that meant every produce cycle net me 6 cards plus goods on all my worlds. The game didn't last too much beyond that point as my consume x2 was rapidly whittling away at the VP pool.

One other note: It's also important to have more in play than just 3 worlds and DE. Those alone are unlikely to win the game. Your opponent could easily outpace 3 cards/6 VP every 2 turns, particularly if he/she has some leech on your consume/produce. It's often important for you to have additional production/consumption abilities that ALSO feed off your cycle. 3 cards/6 VP every 2 turns isn't enough, but 3 cards/10-12 VP every 2 turns probably is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Borden
United States
Somerset
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went diversified economy one game and agree it’s certainly something worth basing your strategy off of when you get it early. The problem I have with most strategies is the card dependency to get those nice bonuses at the end of the game (either drawing the right 6-devs or getting enough supporting cards to really milk the points from them). Only taking one slot in your tableau and having great synergy with any production card in the deck keeps the strategy flexible in the card dependency department. When pumped with x2 consume it gives as many points as most of the 6-devs will (or the same potential if pumped multiple times) and it helps you draw cards during your produce phase too. I’m a big fan of this one

It’s worth stressing again, do not pick develop or settle with a consume strategy after you get your first couple of pieces in play. The longer the game, the more times you can pump your VP chip engine. Don’t help your opponents get cards in their tableau to end the game sooner. You only want a quick ending game if you are the one to trigger it by draining all the VP chips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diversified Economy is nice, but I'm not usually a big fan, as it doesn't go well with a lot of the 6-developments. You need diverse production worlds to make good use of it, but the only 6-dev that absolutely fits with this kind of tableau is Merchant Guild. It doesn't fit so well with the single-colour developments (Mining League, Free Trade, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're drawing 3 cards and getting 6 points every produce/consume cycle, then you will have the cards to add to your tableau in your hand when the other players pick develop or settle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.