Here I Stand» Forums » Rules

Subject: Relief forces questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Denis Cobrousev
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Ferdinand with 2 units is under siege in Vienna. 2 Hapsburg units with no leaders try to relief. Ferdinand with besueged garrison joins the battle. Hapsburg player plays Landsknechts and receives 4 merc. units more. How many battle dice he rolls now?

2. Same situation but Charles V leads relief forces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You have Ferdinand (with a rating of 1), his 2 units, the 2 relief units, and the 4 units from Landsknechts. That gives a 1-leader, and 8 units so you would roll 9 dice.

2. Charles is a leader with a rating of 2 so he would just be +1 higher than Ferdinand with the same troops = 10 dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Karlsson
Sweden
Linköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elaboration
1. It doesn't matter in this particular example, but Ferdinand is only rated 6, so can only command six units when attacking. Relief battles are special in that the besieged forces don't count against the formation size if they sally to join their rescuers, though, so all is well: Ferdie commands the two relieveing units and the mercenaries, and the two units in Vienna tags along for free. Hade the relieving force been bigger, though, it would not have gotten to roll more dice. (But the extra units could have been taken as casualties.)

2. Not have gotten to roll more dice... Unless Charles had been commanding, that is. Charles can command up to 10 units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning" - Dr. Reiner Knizia
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon Karlsson wrote:
1. It doesn't matter in this particular example, but Ferdinand is only rated 6, so can only command six units when attacking. Relief battles are special in that the besieged forces don't count against the formation size if they sally to join their rescuers, though, so all is well: Ferdie commands the two relieveing units and the mercenaries, and the two units in Vienna tags along for free. Hade the relieving force been bigger, though, it would not have gotten to roll more dice. (But the extra units could have been taken as casualties.)

I'm not so sure:

1) Ferdinand was besieged in Vienna, not part of the relief force.

2) I would expect that the Landsknechts troops cannot be considered part of the "free" besieged forces, since you can't build units inside a besieged city.

It would be good to hear from Ed on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) the two units moving initiated the battle. Ferdinand and his stack joined in. It seems to me all the units are going to attack since they are all in the same space. I think Ferdinand's command rating only comes into play for moving forces out. But any and all forces that legally move to the space. I am not sure if Landsketch can be played since there is a stack outside of the besieged city as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danli
Spain
Murcia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

ColtsFan76 wrote:
I am not sure if Landsketch can be played since there is a stack outside of the besieged city as well.

Moreover, I have a related question:

A Stack enters a key: may defender play landsknechts/swiss mercs AFTER active units enters the key, BUT BEFORE siege is established, and retreat to fortifications whit all units, following play of card?

Card states "just before a field battle..." but, it's mandatory make field battle if card is played, or it´s possible play card and then retire into fortifications???

Definitelly, it would be good to hear from Ed on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danli wrote:

ColtsFan76 wrote:
I am not sure if Landsketch can be played since there is a stack outside of the besieged city as well.

Moreover, I have a related question:

A Stack enters a key: may defender play landsknechts/swiss mercs AFTER active units enters the key, BUT BEFORE siege is established, and retreat to fortifications whit all units, following play of card?

Card states "just before a field battle..." but, it's mandatory make field battle if card is played, or it´s possible play card and then retire into fortifications???

Definitelly, it would be good to hear from Ed on this.

edit: as for the original question, the extra troops from Landsknechts are in addition to the formation size and also fight in the battle. It is permitted to play Landsknechts in this position- its just like a regular battle, but the mercenaries join the relief force not the besieged force (which affects whether they can retreat into fotifcations).

Actually what the card says is "even just before a field battle". You can also play the card as response at any other time. So you can play it in response to a move on a key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Philip is correct. You can play Landsknechts or Swiss Mercs to add troops to a fortified space that is about to go under siege. As long as you don't bring your total to 5+ units, they can withdraw inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.