United States
Jefferson City
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Report by: Michael Aucoin

Players: Mike, Spencer, Ron and Kurt

Runebound is a fantasy game where players fight challenges, gain experience, buy and win items, then fight tougher challenges. The challenges come in four difficulty levels starting from easy to hard: green, yellow, blue and red. The green challenges are really easy but the rewards are very minimal. Yellow and blue challenges are harder but the rewards are greater. The red challenges are the hardest and you can win the game by either defeating three red challenges or finding the high lord (one of the red challenges) and defeating him. You are knocked out if you lose all your hit points. Being knocked out sends you to the nearest town where you lose half your gold and all unspent experience points.

Movement is made with a set of five terrain dice that have to match the terrain you wish to travel through. There are several towns on the board where you can buy anything from mercenaries to weapons, armor or magic items. Near the end of the game each player may have up to a dozen items in front of him. Each item can give him a certain bonus. A first time player is unfamiliar with the cards and may not remember to use a special power.

We started by picking a random character. I believe Spencer had “One Fist”, Ron “Silhouette”, Kurt “Battle Mage Jaes” and I had “Red Scorpion”. Kurt was able to get a couple of free items early in the game. I also collected a free item that gave me an extra attack. Alas having an extra attack doesn’t guarantee winning in combat. I did collect a lot of weak allies but had no real offensive weapon. I retreated from a challenge early in the game and even yellow challenges came close to knocking me out. I never did face a blue challenge before the game was over. Spencer and Ron did a little better on the challenges, but Kurt had all the luck and most of the equipment. He had the best ally and one of the best items in the game. He also had the luck of finding the high lord on his first red challenge. He easily defeated the high lord winning the game before most of us were even ready to face a red challenge.

Ratings:
Michael 7
Spender 6
Ron 6.5
Kurt 7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.