Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Goody
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that a player may earn expedition cards when "he is the first player to move his success marker to the bottom row in a column."

Does this apply for EVERY column?
So if I'm the first person to reach the bottom of the Shipping track, I'd collect a card. Then on my opponent's turn, he is the first player to progress to the bottom of the Money track. He would also collect an expedition card, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:yet even another questions about expedition cards
Game Geek (#55283),

You earn an expedition card by being the first player to advance to the second last row in any of the five columns of development. The same reward is also granted to the first player who advances to the last row in any of the five columns.

See the player mats that display an expedition card next to the last two rows as a reminder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:
Game Geek (#55283),

You earn an expedition card by being the first player to advance to the second last row in any of the five columns of development. The same reward is also granted to the first player who advances to the last row in any of the five columns.

See the player mats that display an expedition card next to the last two rows as a reminder.

... the above apply for EACH column (a max of 10 expedition cards are awarded in total).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan (#55296),

Is this really true? I don't have the rules handy but I was sure there are only two bonus expedition cards available in the game - one for the first player to reach row 4 (in any column) and one more for the first player to reach row 5 (in any column). I'll check the rules when I get a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
meowsqueak (#55644),

Yes. Check them. You are mistaken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen (#55649),

I accept that I may be mistaken, but please hear me out first:

From the "updated Goa English Rules" available here on BGG:

"There are three ways to receive expedition cards:
3. By being the first player to advance to the second last row in any of the five columns of development; that player may take an expedition card from the draw pile. The same reward is granted the first player who advances to the last row in any of the five columns."

I had always read this (and played it) as "if you are the first player to reach the fourth row, you draw a card. If you are the first player to reach the fifth row, you draw a card". But I see now the rules are actually ambiguous - the way it's written here (I presume this matches the real rules - once again I forgot to check at home) can have both meanings.

For example, consider this:

No players have reached row four in any column. The harvest column is one of all available columns. The first player to reach row four in the 'harvest' column is therefore the first player to reach row four in any column. The taxes column is one of all available columns. Consequently, the first player to reach row four of the taxes column is now the second player to reach row four in any column.

Do you see how I came to my conclusion? According to this interpretation, which I believe to be logical, I am not mistaken.

However, consider this intepretation:

No players have reached row four in any column. The harvest column is one of all available columns. The first player to reach row four in the 'harvest' column is therefore the first player to reach row four in this column. The taxes column is one of all available columns. Consequently, the first player to reach row four of the taxes column is now the first player to reach row four in this column.

If this is truly the correct interpretation, then the rule would be better stated as:

"By being the first player to advance to the second last row in each of the five columns of development; that player may take an expedition card from the draw pile. The same reward is granted the first player who advances to the last row in each of the five columns."

That would certainly put rest to any argument. As it stands, I believe both interpretations are correct, but I actually think my own is 'more' correct (regardless of how it actually bears on the gameplay). Your interpretation sounds more interesting however and I'll play that rule in future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
meowsqueak (#55958),

Of course, this may all be pointlessly wrong if the official rules state it differently - I really must remember to check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
meowsqueak (#55959),

I don't have the Rio Grande ruleset in front of me either, but yes, when I first I read the rules I interpreted them the same way you did. A visit to the FAQ list on Hans Im Gluck's webpage led me to the correct interpretation of their being potentially 10 expedition cards up for grabs for advancement to the fourth and fifth rows of the various columns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
meowsqueak wrote:

If this is truly the correct interpretation, then the rule would be better stated as:

"By being the first player to advance to the second last row in each of the five columns of development; that player may take an expedition card from the draw pile. The same reward is granted the first player who advances to the last row in each of the five columns."

That phrasing would make it sound as if to get a bonus card you must have upgraded all five of your columns the fourth/fifth row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules from Rio Grande Rules Book
From the rule book in the Rio Grande version:

Quote:

The first player to reach the last or second to the last row in any column of the development board, draws 1 expedition card, adding it to his hand, even when it puts him over his hand limit. If he later uses the expedition action, he must again obey his hand limit.

End Quote.
Bold text formatting and comma splices are original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Rules from Rio Grande Rules Book
Here is the official German response to this question from the Hans Im Glueck FAQ for Goa. Although it is in German, it clearly states ( get out your English German dictionaries!!) that it is one expedition card for the first person to reach any of the fourth level and fifth level tracks.... up to ten bonuses in total.

Frage 6: Ist es richtig, dass ein Spieler keine Expeditionskarte erhält, wenn er als Erster die 4. Stufe des Bereichs Ernte erreicht, weil ein anderer Spieler seinen Marker bereits im Bereich „Schiffbau" auf der 4. Stufe liegen hat?

Antwort: Nein, jeder Bereich wird getrennt betrachtet! Der entsprechende Regelabsatz müsste korrekt heißen: Immer wenn ein Spieler als Erster in einem Bereich die 4. Stufe bzw. die 5. Stufe erreicht, erhält er 1 Expeditionskarte. Pro Bereich können also 2 (insgesamt maximal 10) Expeditionskarten vergeben werden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.