Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://mdoyle.blogspot.com/2007/12/preview-of-valley-games-t...

Unfortunately the monster art is the same, but the counters do look better. Overall, I love how the main board and battlelands are turning out...

It's funny how just turning the 3d monster art into a black silhouette makes it look so much better (look at the Muster Diagram). I wish we could see some monster icons in the style of the icons from the main board...

-Jorge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the circular counters, and I still think they would have been more practical than the square ones. Having said that, the new ones also look cool. I expect that the surface area of the chits will be smaller since they are not round, which is kind of a downer.

I have to disagree with the notion that it's easier to tell apart the units on the Muster Chart as compared to the Monster Tokens. I'd like to see a size comparison of the new square chit with the original square chit.

P.S.
Thanks for the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking less scary now, for some reason.
Maybe it's just the return to a square counter that makes that much difference...?

But this time I was struck with a Battleboard observation:
What the heck are they trying to simulate with the aged-scroll look on the Battleboards?!
AFAIK, the original boards were simulating the actual landmass that your creatures were fighting on - one side came from one side of the swamp, and the opponent came from another, encountering terrain obstacles on the way.

Now, your creatures are moving from the swamp.... to some parallel-universe scroll where their spirits are combating and dealing with terrain hazards?!? surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the battle boards. I do see what you're getting at, but I think they're neat anyhow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the art work and style looks great - and this from someone who had no interest in seeing the game reprinted at all, given the way it looks now I could consider getting a copy.

Cheers, and good work mike and Valley Games!

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Argh, Giles beat me to it...

I think the new look is GREAT! The monster counters look terrific (the art just looks so much better to me without the strip across the middle and with the light yellow background--I don't know if that will be color-coded for nativity or not, but I assume not). Everything else looked good before and still does. The masterboard is fantastic. I'm kinda in the same "scroll? huh...well, OK" camp about the battleboards, but whatever.

Way to go VG and Mike Doyle and whoever else had a hand in these changes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the scroll either, but it's not a big deal. And the counters are much, much better.

I wonder if the color of the text on the counters will be the same as the colors of those characters in the original version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Fullenwider
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
I'm not a moccodity!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely liking the new changes, although, reading Mike's comments, he makes it sound like he's doing it under duress. Oh well. Hopefully he can get over himself and finally realize that in game component design sometimes you need to put function over form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MSV Burns
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Giles. That's some cool-looking stuff.

I've never played Titan, I've never seen Titan, I have no emotional or nostalgic connection to Titan, and I doubt I will purchase the re-issue.

But that is some cool-looking stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I wonder if the color of the text on the counters will be the same as the colors of those characters in the original version.

I would guess that since some of those colours were determined by the "we have 8 countersheets to fill" limitations, the new counters will be coloured by nativity or the best guess thereat. I see no compelling reason, for instance, for the gargs to remain black.

I will add my voice to the chorus saying 'much better': the counters look like counters. Still not a fan of the 3d art, but it seems here to stay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pleased with the changes, and kudos to Mike for paying attention to us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's funny how just turning the 3d monster art into a black silhouette makes it look so much better (look at the Muster Diagram). I wish we could see some monster icons in the style of the icons from the main board...

No doubt! The silhouettes look great! The 3d versions? Eh, not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As a long time Titan player, I can say that this design has surpassed the original. It is good enough to lure those of us with 2 or more Titan sets, to buy another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Hoffmann
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think all of the new changes are for the better. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Steen
United States
North Haledon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curtis Anderson wrote:
I'm pleased with the changes, and kudos to Mike for paying attention to us.

maelic001 wrote:
I'm definitely liking the new changes, although, reading Mike's comments, he makes it sound like he's doing it under duress. Oh well. Hopefully he can get over himself and finally realize that in game component design sometimes you need to put function over form.

Just a couple notes:
-Mike is hired by Valley Games do to certain pieces of artwork. His listening to BGG has very little to do with the process. He creates within the confines that VG asks him to do it. So replace "duress" with "being paid to do it again" and "paying attention to us" as "waiting to hear from VG as to what they want to do with BGG feedback"
-there are only angry ways to respond to the "get over himself" crack except to say that you have no idea what you are talking about, so why would you say something stupid like that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Wagner
United States
Hanover
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, much nicer! Though I am still not a fan of the art, that dragon seems to look better than the dragon art that was on the circle. I think that the bar on the circle had an obscuring effect on the art, and recognizability, as well. It also helps to have the entire dragon image on the counter.

I would definitely consider buying the game with these changes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Wagner
United States
Hanover
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toddwag wrote:
Wow, much nicer! Though I am still not a fan of the art, that dragon seems to look better than the dragon art that was on the circle. I think that the bar on the circle had an obscuring effect on the art, and recognizability, as well. It also helps to have the entire dragon image on the counter.

I would definitely consider buying the game with these changes!

Actually..going back and looking at the dragon on the square again...I think I like it!

The two I especially didn't like were the giant and the guardian. I think the bar across the circle counter had a big affect on the look of the art. Having all of the figure on the counter helps too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ururam Tururam
Poland
Krakow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Experimenting Warlock
badge
Caffa et bucella per attractionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
mbmbmbmbmb
The new preview looks really OK.
I'm looking forward to getting this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
. . . then came the king's son, wounded, sore bestead, and weaponless, and saw the broken sword, hilt-buried in the dry and trodden sand, and ran and snatched it, and with battle shout lifted afresh, he hewed his enemy down . . .
badge
See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field . . . will he not much more clothe you? (NIV)
mbmbmbmbmb
I very much like how the game artwork now looks.

Masterboard: superb! It is very well done. (My only comment: the triple arrows could be given some color, as the biggest problem newbies face is understanding movement.)

Battlelands: I like how the backgrounds match the masterboard textures--a nice touch. And I love that the native creatures are listed on the maps.

Creature Counters: I like being able to see the entire creature artwork--it'll make recognition much easier. (Readability Comment: I wish the names were not all in caps--they're hard to read at a glance.)

Legion Markers: they look all right. (I think the shields are too small to see well. And I hope the artwork within a given color will be more vaired, per http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1854071#1854071, the sixth post from the bottom.)

Muster Diagram: very cool! (Why are some lines thick and others thin? If anything, I'd make the triple-creature recruitment lines the heavier ones.)

I'm now very excited about how the game now looks. Well done, Mike!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Masterboard...I've always liked the look, but I'm still concerned that it'll be too dark for long-term play. Seeing the physical production will probably be needed, or at least a photo of the actual thing, rather than an image of the PC art.

The Battleboards are different. I like the scroll look...it's a nice touch. But it does diverge from the idea that the battleboard represents the actual space on the masterboard. Showing what creatures are native is a nice touch, too, although I'm not sure that it adds a lot of functionality considering that the player still needs to consult the effect list to see what the benefits of nativity are.

I like the squarish pieces better than rounded. Easier to grasp, and allows the functionality of turning the pieces that the original had. The changes to the arrangement are better, too. I'm not sure why the same image on a different shaped piece with this information arrangement works for me, but it does. Using a bow instead of an arrow is a better choice for Rangestrike ability, and it clearly is different from the eagle for flying. Overall, a much better draft than the round.

I still don't know why the Legion markers are using different art, but these clearly look like Titan markers. The comment about using white space at the top to call out the piece against the dark Masterboard only reinforces my concerns over how dark that will be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work on the redesign. I liked the originals too but this is even better. I hope everyone is finally satisfied and we won't have another flame war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilmann Choe
Germany
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great improvements on creature counters.
I was worried about them... But now it looks good.
It seems more identifiable and more functional.
(I still don't like the creature art, but it's a matter of personal taste.)

And the masterboard, battleboards, muster diagram... they are great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These changes have been the results of Mike working closely with the products production manager (Torben) over the last several weeks.

Though I mentioned in a previous thread that round counters were "concrete", we've had a change of heart in a functionality-over-form kind of way. Square is just so much easier to work with in regards to game record-keeping that we felt it was a shame to eliminate them completely. The trade-off then simply became the traditional square counters (bigger than the old ones) with rounded corners for an aesthetic appeal.

Overall, I think the changes have been largely for the better, and I hope you agree. We're looking forward to getting this game off to the printers.

*** Just wait until you see the bonus Titan figures.... WOW!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt King
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
otrex wrote:

One question (I'm excited!): are they all going to be the same mold? Hopefully not! But yes, I agree with all of the changes now. The only thing I didn't like before was the red stripe, which was necessary for the round counters. Anyway, I'm looking forward to receiving this in the mail!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grimstuff wrote:
otrex wrote:

This may have been brought up before, but what purpose will the Titan figures actually serve? (Seeing as how one of the integral elements of the game is to keep your Titan hidden). Regardless, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on them.

I guess you can use them once you're playing out an actual battle in the battleland boards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.