7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: strategic game for 2 or more rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
xabier xabier
msg tools
Hi!

I want you experts to recommend me a strategic game, preferably for 2 players, but may also consider a 2-or-more-players game.

Basicaly, I´d like something similar to Risk, game that I love, but I´m tired of playing the same game again and again.

I´ve tested some card driven wargames, such as Memorir 44, wich i dislike, because there is no strategic planification, and very few tactics, due to its tremendous azar and luck-dependance.

Have also checked "Roma" (not strategic, few tactics) and Carcassone (much to abstract for me, i dislike abstract games)

I don´t want very complex wargames, with dozens of different units and very complex rules. A simple wargame would be fine (I bought Memoir´44 with that hope... but it was no strategic and very luck-dependant).

Of course, it might not be a wargame.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

:-)

Xabier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Antike would be a good choice. It's not a pure wargame, as it has other paths to victory and direct offense is often costly if ill-timed, but it has everything you asked for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis and Allies might be up your alley.

I know it sounds trite but the latest version is quite playable and it has some depth once you get into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games I'd recommend:

Vinci like Risk, but with diceless combat. You play a series of civilizations that expands, pushes back your neighbors, and eventually declines. Each civilization has a couple of different special powers. Plays better with 4-6.

Hellas Plays only with two, but a very nice diceless combat and expansion game. Players use boats to discover new islands and armies to hold and capture opponent's cities. Cards allow special results in combat that adds some uncertainty.

Samurai & Katana and Joan of Arc. Both have some Risk like elements, but the combat system is completely different. You can build castles and other fortifications to defend your holdings.

By the way, if you haven't tried some of the Risk spinoffs, such as Risk: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Edition or Risk: Star Wars Original Trilogy Edition, you should give them a try. First, they play well with fewer players, and second, there are built in limits to the number of turns so that the games don't go on forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have more than two players the latest Hasbro/AH History of the World is a good choice...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you taken a look at Napoleon's Triumph or Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815. Napoleon's Triumph isn't luck dependent at all, though has hidden information. Napoleon uses both hidden information and dice, so has a bit more chaos. Both are in the 3 hour range and have relatively short rules. NT is nominally 2-player but with teams can handle... 8, I think? N is a 2- or 3-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you say you like Risk, it seems like you couldn't go wrong with Nexus Ops, particularly if you can take advantage of the really inexpensive price here in the U.S. (around $10 from amazon last I checked).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.