13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Online Gaming Store Recomendations Appreciated rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Doe
msg tools
mbmb
Hello, lately I have felt the need to order more games to play, but I am in need of a dependable and affordable website to order from in the future.
I am looking for one that carries a wide variety of boardgames.
So far, ThoughtHammer seems the best bet with essenially the cheapest prices around. However, the chances of me ordering $125 worth of stuff is rather slim.
Know any places with similar good prices and perhaps a cheaper amount needed for free shipping?
Have you had good or bad eperiences with thoughthammer?
Any other store suggestions for what ever reason?
If I am unable to find another site I think I might just order from them anyway. I believe their shipping is just a flat $8 anyway so it could be justified if I were to buy enough games I guess.

Thank you in advance for all of the community's assisstance

--QD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Owen
United States
Lisle
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThoughtHammer is wonderful. I order through them almost exclusively. Nothing but positive experiences. But, pretty much any of the stores that advertise on the front page of BGG will be fine for you.
You will not find free shipping for less than $125.
The $8 flat shipping is still a good deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The free shipping threshold at Superhero Gameland is $99 - the lowest I've seen. I haven't made a purchase from them yet, so I can't comment on service.

However, I can comment on ThoughtHammer and Boards & Bits. Both are excellent stores to buy from.

In the BGG Marketplace, seller "rsolow" provides very friendly service and great prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've had 100% perfect results from Thoughthammer about 4 times and Cardhaus about 20 times. I just got a big order of RPG books from Thoughthammer a few days ago, and it was some of the best packing I've ever seen. Everything was 100% mint.

Ebay, I've had mixed luck with... certainly not worth the hassle for me now unless I *need* something out-of-print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a) If you put your location in, people could potentially suggest local alternative for you.

b) If you put your location in, you make it easier for people to find you so that you can try out games WITHOUT having to buy them.

c) if you put your location in and find a gaming group, you can potentially combine orders and easily make the $125 free shipping threshold.

d) Quibbling too much over $8 shipping is really chintzy.
TH is a fantastic store, and I've heard good things about Boards and Bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MSV Burns
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would send a geekmail to DW Tripp and ask him. He has written extensive reviews on each of the larger online retailers and is quite familiar with their relative merits.

He is also very free with his opinions and loves helping...

edit: devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Van Wallendael
United States
Valrico
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've have used Thought Hammer several times with great success. They are the tops in customer service and their prices are great. I now use them exclusively for all my online game purchases. It's great when you can get a $125.00 order however, I've found them to have very reasonable shipping for orders under $125.00.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
the chances of me ordering $125 worth of stuff is rather slim.

If you can't find friends or others (e.g. from your local game club) to kick in with you on an order just wait a bit, you'd be surprised how quickly your "want list" will reach $125+ (that's barely six games at an average of $21 each).

Fair Play Games is another good online game store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Daniels
United States
Walled Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
I have had great success with GameSurplus in PA. They have even tracked down a couple of older games for me from their distributers in Germany. I also like Fair Play because I can get my orders picked up and delivered to our big games group - ROBA - for no shipping charges. I cannot recommend Fun Again. Their prices are higher than most and their shipping is by FEDEX, which is terrible. Haven't tried any others because I am happy with the ones I have.

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Chavis
United States
Wanatah
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marqos wrote:
I would send a geekmail to DW Tripp and ask him. He has written extensive reviews on each of the larger online retailers and is quite familiar with their relative merits.

He is also very free with his opinions and loves helping...

edit: devil

Now, that's just cruel.

This is long, and basically it says go with any of the BGG supporting/advertising online vendors, but if interested in my experiences...

I have nothing but good things to say about Thoughthammer, I've ordered over $1k from there over the last year and haven't had any problems what so ever.

That being said, I do like the selection at BoardsAndBits and have ordered from there (Splotter!) FunAgain - nice selection, pricing is higher than most. Also, GameSurplus has some nice imports that I couldn't find anywhere else. My last few orders have been from BoulderGames because they have some items in stock that no one else had - shipping is reasonable. (Nice wargame selection)

Looking at Fairplay Games though - haven't ordered from them, but they do offer the $125 Free shipping, but if you don't qualify for that then you can get 5% off if you spend at least $75. Also, they are close to me so I wonder how fast I'd get a ground shipped order.

My wife usually orders from TimeWellSpent for my presents, no idea why, just her choice I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hall
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Cardboard and Wine Podcast
badge
Cardboard and Wine Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also suggest checking out fairplaygames.com. I have ordered from them 3 times, and each time my orders were processed and shipped by the next business day. Also, as was mentioned, they offer the 5% off of $75 if you don't make the $125 free ship. With one of my orders I received a coupon for $ off of my next order.

They also price match from other online vendors. Thoughthammer had a couple games for a couple dollars cheaper... fairplay met the price... I just had to type it into the comments section when placing the order.

I highly recommend you check out fairplay games.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Luta
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loosely related--shipping charges are rarely the item to quibble over. Yet, people seem drawn to the idea of getting shipping for free--there are several studies done by and for online retailers, and they have even found that given a choice between some discount, say 10% off, or free shipping, the majority of customers chose the free shipping--EVEN WHERE THE TOTAL PRICE OF CHOOSING THAT OPTION WAS HIGHER than would have been the case with the discount and paying for shipping.

If you want to save money, look at the total price, not who charges what for shipping. Of course, bundling orders with others is certainly a legitimate way to lower the shipping cost, but then you run the risk of an order being held up if some items are out of stock, or paying for shipping anyway to ship two partial orders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.