Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a huge golf fan, but every year our staff gets together for 18 holes, and last year I even had fun. My wife is a much better golfer than I, so I thought I might be able to beat her at board game golf, but I was wrong.

I bought her the deluxe set with the regular course and St. Andrews for her birthday, and it came with three golfer figures and one golf bag. I decided to go with the golf bag, and as my wife so nicely put it, I played like one.

The game is a lot of fun, but I have to say it is realistic in the sense that sometimes, as in real golf, you can't do anything right.

In this game you choose how many dice you roll (equivalent to choosing a club or how much force your using on your putt), roll the dice (equivalent to how well you hit the ball), and win gems for being under par and winning the hole (your score). You can use the gems you win to compensate for bad shots and putts.

Hole 1: Burn, par 4.

I started off with a bad drive, but managed to avoid the water trap, while my wife made a perfect drive and picked up a point. I spent one to get the wind in my favour just to par, while my wife birdied. (You start with four gems and replenish to four if your fall below this level).

Score: 4-8

Hole 2: Dyke, par 4

I was a little worried about this hole. The St. Andrews course has some monster bunkers, indicated by a ladder icon. I took the left approach with such a bunker. To get out of them you have to roll all five dice and not get a black spot.

Guess where my drive landed? Two attempts later I was out of the bunker. My wife had a few problem on this hole as well and tapped in for par. I spent a gem to get backspin (essentially allowing a free roll of all five dice to see if your chip/drive goes in) and made par!

Score 4-8

Hole 3: Cartgate, par 4

This was the hole I was hoping to catch up on. Of course, Penny made a fantastic drive, then on the green, a putt and a tap in.

My drive took a bad roll into a bunker. From there, I landed in the next bunker, then on the green with a good spin. I took a gimme for par. (The rules state that you can use a gimme anywhere on the green, but we play that you can only use them if you are on the spot right before the flag).

Score 4-9

Hole 4: Ginger Beer, par 4

So I was only hanging in there because I was able to replenish to four. It's a good rule to keep you in the game in the beginning, but I had to get a good hole in sometime.

We both took the right approach on this hole to avoid the monster bunker on the left. I made a great drive, and made par. Penny, made a good drive, but overshot and had to take a mulligan, then a gimme to make par.

Score 5-8

Hole 5: Hole O'Cross, par 5

I got a great drive, but Penny did not, so I was already envisioning an eagle. Then I overshot the green, but eventually got the birdie. Penny made p for her bad drive with a very long putt and a gimme to also finish one under.

Score 7-8

Hole 6: Hethery, par 4

This was quite a straightforward hole by the look of it. Of course I first hit the bunker, then rolled off the green on to the fairway. By the time I putted in, I was one over.

I could only watch Penny's perfect drive once more as she made par.

Score 7-11

Hole 7: High, par 4

We both took the left approach on this one. My wife made yet another great drive, on the green and in. I ended up in the rough, spent a gem to get the wind to carry me out of the rough; then over shot the gree. As my wife had already birdied the hole by then, there was no point continuing. You get two gems for winning the hole, and one for every stroke under par, and I had no chance at either.

I would be interested in trying a variant of this game where you just kept score, or if only one gem was awarded for winning the hole.

Score 7-14

Hole 8: Short, par 3

Despite landing in a deep bunker, my wife managed a great shot, and with a little backspin, birdied the hole. I made a bad drive, then in the bunker, played in the sand for a while and gave up.

Score 7-17

Hole 9: End, par 4

Penny landed in a sand trap known as Mrs. Kruger, had some trouble but eventually made it to the fairway. I took advantge of this lapse, and with a little help from a backspin, made the birdie.

Score: 9-17

Hole 10: Bobby Jones, par 4

We have played this game a few times, and the back nine of a course can be totally different and allow you to come from behind. But whereas I had a great drive and ended up at par, my wife landed in a sand trap, but still ended up parring the hole.

Score: 10-18

Hole 11: High, par 3

We both risked the right approach on this one, hoping for a nice long drive to get us on the green. I landed on the green, but only managed a birdie with a little help from a backspin. Penny had lots of trouble on this one, and only managed par. Finally I was gaining on her.

Score 12-16

Hole 12: Heathery, par 4

I took the left approach on this one, while my wife to the right. I got a great drive, and the wind blew me right on to the green. I followed that up with some terrible putting. Penny went from the fiarway to the green and in.

Score 12-18

Hole 13: Hole O' Cross, par 4

We each took the left approach on this hole, had perfect drives and a little help from the wind. We both birdied.

Score 14-20

Hole 14: Long, par 5

I should have known this would not be a good hole. It had a bunker named Hell on it, and I knew that was where I was headed as soon as I saw it. I made a bad drive, but eventually made it on to the Elysium fields (named just to taunt me no doubt). I did manage to avoid Hell and even pulled off a birdie!

Penny made yet another perfect drive, and also birdied it, to increase her lead.

Score 15-22

Hole 15: Cartgate, par 4

We were twins on this hole: both using the wind to our advantage to birdie.

Score: 17-24

Hole 16:
Corner of the Dyke, par 4

We both took the left approach, noting that both approaches could land you in the same very deep bunker. I managed a great drive, then sunk it, both with help, for the eagle!

Penny managed a one under, with a little help from the wind.

Score: 19-24

Hole 17: Road, par 4

Well there wasn't much hope, but there was some. But I had to actually either do the hole in fewer strokes, spend fewer gems, or preferably both. We both took advantage of the wind to par this hole, leaving me exactly where I was.

Score 19-24

Hole 18: Tom Morris, par 4

We both ended up in the rough on this one, but whereas my wife was out and on the green on the next shot, I was stuck. With a little help, I parred it, as did my wife.

Score: 19-25

This was very challenging course, and an entertaining game. Next time, I think I will take more advantage of the gems earlier in the match so that I don't fall as far behind in the early holes.

Or perhaps, I shouldn't play the golf bag and risk playing like a golf bag.

Edit: typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Cruickshank
United States
Easthampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ccarlet1 wrote:
The game is a lot of fun, but I have to say it is realistic in the sense that sometimes, as in real golf, you can't do anything right.

LUCK - good or bad!

ccarlet1 wrote:
This was very challenging course, and an entertaining game. Next time, I think I will take more advantage of the gems earlier in the match so that I don't fall as far behind in the early holes.

STRATEGY

Chris,
You've truly captured the element of luck and strategy in Box of Golf!
Thanks for playing!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Mary Cruickshank
President
Box of Golf, Inc.

P.S. I enjoyed the play by play, hole by hole of the St Andrews course including your "house rules" (AKA the much debated value of a Green "gimme" gem).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
ccarlet1 wrote:
(The rules state that you can use a gimme anywhere on the green, but we play that you can only use them if you are on the spot right before the flag)
That makes much more sense, both as a game and as a simulation of golf. But we play by the rules as written for that one and allow those 60 foot "gimmes".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Cruickshank
United States
Easthampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Randy Cox wrote:
...But we play by the rules as written for that one and allow those 60 foot "gimmes".

There are times you surprise me Randy! Just when I thought I had you figured out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.