Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Burke
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a long time wargamer and recently my wife and I have begun playing Euro games with friends. My problem is most the games we own for group play don't really translate well as 2 player games. What's out there for a good 2 player designed Euro type game. I'm slowly trying to urge her to try Commands & Colors: Ancientsbut till that day comes I'd like 2-3 games to have around the house for that fleeting moment when she'd like to play. Any advice from game partners sharing the same bed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't we just get this question a couple days ago?

No worry. I'll repeat myself. I'd recommend Samurai, Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper if you can find it, San Juan, Ra (which isn't really 2 player, but there's a great 2p variant here that plays very well), and Ingenious.

All of them are enjoyed by myself and my wife. None are too confrontational, so neither of you will get stuck sleeping on the couch becaues you got in your partner's base and killed their d00dz. All have a nice mix of strategy/tactics and luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favourite euro 2-players game is Aton. YOu can't go wrong with Lost Cities as well. And if you enjoy Carcassonne then Carcassonne: The Castle will be a perfect fit as a two-players game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richard
United States
Avon
US
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MGBM wrote:
One of my favourite euro 2-players game is Aton. YOu can't go wrong with Lost Cities as well. And if you enjoy Carcassonne then Carcassonne: The Castle will be a perfect fit as a two-players game.

I also find that Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers plays really nicely with 2. And recently, I've been really impressed with Mr. Jack. I'm not sure if it qualifies as a Euro game, but it's a nice 2-player deduction game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Chavis
United States
Wanatah
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Mr. Jack from my secret santa this year and it's been fun. Also, I'd second the recommendations for San Juan and Lost Cities. My wife and I have been playing these for quite awhile and they haven't gotten old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenious, if you like abstracts this one is great.

Maharaja: The Game of Palace Building in India. The 2-player rules are just lovely.

Attika. Just played this one today and it could well become a favorite.

Good luck in your quest and I hope these help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Ra (which isn't really 2 player, but there's a great 2p variant here that plays very well)

Or you could just get Razzia!, which is about the same game with a better theme.

Shenomad and I also enjoy Hey, That's My Fish!, Die Fugger (absolutely no confrontation here), Bohnanza, and YINSH.

I must say all this talk of "non-confrontational, spouse-friendly" games make me appreciate Shenomad even more. When she loses, she says:
"I hate this !@#$ing game!" Then she looks me in the eyes and says:
"Next time, I kill you."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Burke
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played Hey, That's My Fish! before and enjoyed it. I bought Bohnanza for the family for Christmas and after opening it we started a three player game, even as an ASL player the rules seems confusing, poorly written. I'll give it another chance with a couple we play with. Razzia looks good though.

Thanks to you all, I'm off to the game store to play Commands & Colors: Ancients or Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1 tomorrow and I'll see what they have on the shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2-player rules for Bohnanza make for a fun and interesting game, but be forewarned--it's a totally different game from the one you play with 3+ players. That really bothers some people, but my wife and I like it either as a 2-player or with a group.

Reef Encounter is a game that scales extremely well from 2-4 by adding boards for more players (you use as many boards as you have players). It's a bit of a brain-burner, though--not your typical midweight Euro-game.

I got Elasund: The First City for Christmas, one of the newer offshoots of the Settlers Of Catan series of games. I've only played it a couple of times, but I think it also scales very well from 2-4 players.

I must second the nomination of Carcassonne: The Castle and Carcassonne: Hunters & Gatherers. We like several tile-laying games and all of the Carcassonne ones, but these two really shine as our favorites. Carcassonne: The City is fast moving up on our list as well.

Alhambra is another tile-laying game that my wife and I love as a 2- or 3-player game.

Balloon Cup is a light-but-fun card game for two.

Roma is a heavier card game for two, also lots of fun.

Babel is heavier yet as card games go, and it's a blast to play.

I love Odin's Ravens (2-player card game as well), although the wife didn't care for it very much. On the other hand, Lost Cities is a very popular-with-couples card game, and she absolutely hated it. Neither of us like the Settlers Of Catan Card Game For Two.

If you can figure out how to search through all the Geeklists, there are tons of them that cover this very subject. Good luck in your search!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some Euros that play very well two player, as well as playing more are (play 2-4 unless otherwise noted):
Blue Moon City: card driven, highly replayable because of a modular board.
Caylus: economic/building--very heavy, almost no luck (2-5).
Caylus Magna Carta: economic/building--lighter, moderate luck, same theme.
Goa: auction/economic--yes, auctions with two work; one of the more complicated games, but very highly regarded by couples.
Saint Petersburg: card drafting/economic--easy to learn but very subtle.
Vikings: a lighter tile drafting/economic game with a touch of tile laying and lots of Veeples (Viking Meeples).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear; I is here.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/265341
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/268474
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/27824
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/8691/page/1

Here are a few threads/geeklists on the subject. There are probably a bunch more, too. I recommend bookmarking them so that when you can refer back to it as you drag your significant other deeper into the depths.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add two of my new favorites that play excellent at 2:

In the Year of the Dragon, works beautifully from 2-5. A great game.

Amyitis, works very well from 2-4. A very good game.

Hope these help you in your quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.