Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, here's the situation. Player A (call him Matt) attacks Player B (Jim). Jim has Air Defense on his base, but loses the battle anyway, to ground units coming from an adjacent territory. So, at this point, Matt has a Queen and a zergling in an area with Jim's Base.

On a later action, Player C (Tom) attacks Matt in this same area. Is the air defense from Jim's base still effective? Can Tom attack from an adjacent planet? We ruled that because Matt was controlling the area, but not the base as it wasn't his token, that the air defense module did not protect him. Was this the right ruling?

Chad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goran Topic
Japan
Kita-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
willythesnitch wrote:
Was this the right ruling?

While not sure, I would not agree. First, Matt does not control the area.
Quote:
A player controls an area if he has at least one unit or base in the area, and there are no enemy units or bases in the area.
--FAQ, page 1

The base is still there, the module still works, so Tom cannot land to the base.
Quote:
When a battle occurs in an area containing one of the player's bases, the player receives +1 attack strength in each skirmish where the opposing front-line unit is a flying unit
--Rulebook, page 41

I read this as saying that air support module only fights in your battles. Therefore, once Tom reaches your base (through another area, as he still can't land from off-world), Matt will not get the +1 anti-air benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I just confirmed my ruling on page 41 of the rule book. The rules for the Air Support Module's limited orbital defense state:

Opponents may not transport units across navigation routes (from another planet) directly into an area containing one of the player's bases.

emphasis added by me.

So it seems that the air module only applies for the player whose base it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, thats an interesting question. I would think the air defense doesn't work at all if the territory with the base has enemy units defending it.

I do think though that if you're retaking your base you should get the +1 attack to flying units from your base though. Would be interesting to see an actual ruling.

Anyways, thats my two cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems pretty clear to me: "Opponents may not transport units across navigation routes (from another planet) directly into an area containing one of the player's bases."

Jim no longer controls the area - he lost control to Matt when Matt's attack succeeded. but Jim still has a base in the area - he won't lose the base until the Regroup phase (and there may be things that he can do to rescue it in the meantime).

Tom is Jim's opponent. Jim still has a base with Air Defence. Therefore Tom cannot land troops from another planet into the territory with Jim's base in it, even if his stated aim was to beat up Matt's troops.

If Tom and Jim are allies, I'm not sure what the answer is (mostly because I haven't read the "allies" section of the rulebook). But as things stand, the Air Defence will stop Tom moving in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Richard. Although Matt is the one with units in the base, Tom moving there would still be attacking Jim's base, and thus the "the player's base" would still apply for Jim, making the move illegal. More than one person can be impacted by an attack, such as in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goran Topic
Japan
Kita-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
serdudds wrote:
Hmm, thats an interesting question. I would think the air defense doesn't work at all if the territory with the base has enemy units defending it.

The enemy units don't really "defend" your base, they're hard at work at dismantling it (which is why it goes boom in the regrouping phase), but while all this is going on the base will still shoot at the arriving transports.

serdudds wrote:
I do think though that if you're retaking your base you should get the +1 attack to flying units from your base though. Would be interesting to see an actual ruling.

You do get the +1 attack, IMHO, even if you are retaking your base. Read the wording again: The battle does occur in an area where you have a base, thus your units do receive +1 against front-line fliers. There is no mention of "attackers" and "defenders".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see. This is answered by careful reading of the rules (page 41). I quote:

Quote:
The Air Support module grants a player's bases three important benefits:
Cloaking Detector: All of that player's units in the same area as one of his bases gain the detector ability.

Are there Jim's units in the same area as Jim's base? No.
Therefore, does this one apply? No. Next.

Quote:
Anti-aircraft Defenses: When battle occurs in an area containing one of the player's bases, the player receives +1 attack strength in each skirmish where the opposing front-line unit is a flying unit.

Does a battle occur in an area containing Jim's bases? Yes.
Who would get +1 vs flying units? Jim.
Is Jim involved in the battle? No.
Therefore, does this one apply? No. And last, but not least:

Quote:
Limited Orbital Defense: Opponents may not transport units across navigation routes (from another planet) directly into an area containing one of the player's bases. Thematically, this represents the bases' ability to shoot down transports entering that player's airspace.

(and then clarification on you can still land anywhere else on the planet, and you can get in from within the planet).

Is Tom Jim's opponent? Yes, by definition.
Is Tom Trying to transport units from another planet into Jim's base area? Yes.
But he's not intending to attack Jim's base! That's irrelevant.
Therefore, does this one apply? Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.