Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Background: In 1947 the British government allowed the subcontinent of India, which it had ruled for over a century in one way or another, to attain independence as two seperate nations. The larger nation, India, occupied a central position and had a majority population of Hindus, though with a substantial Muslim minority. The smaller nation, Pakistan, was split into two seperate parts, one in the West of the subcontinent and one in the East. It was primarily a Muslim state.

There was a great deal of bloodshed acommpanying Partition as the split was called, and there was also a thorny political problem raised by the status of the native principalities, seperate realms which had nestled within British India under puppet monarchs. Most were persuaded to join the appropriate section, but the ruler of Kashmir, a state on the northern border of the subcontinent and right on the border between India and West Pakistan, postponed his decision as long as he could. A Hindu, he ruled over a primarily Muslim population. He eventually opted to join India, but Muslim tribes in the North-West of Kashmir, backed by the newly formed Pakistani Army, staged an uprising and took much territory. The Indian Army responded force and so began the first Indo-Pak war, which was ended fairly quickly with a ceasefire line in Kashmir.

Pakistan and India went to war twice more during the Cold War, and both time Pakistan was defeated, eventually suffering the loss of its Eastern section (which became the independent nation of Bangladesh). The two states were skilled players in the Cold War game, attracting military aid from the superpowers while courting support from other ex-colonial countries. Indo-Pak conflict did not end in 1989- it is indeed one of the most dangerous situations in today's world.

Effect: 2 OPs recurring mixed event. Add 2 Military Operations. Choose to target India or Pakistan. Roll a dice and subtract 1 for every country adjacent to the target that is controlled by your opponent. On a modified 4-6 win 2 VPs and replace all opponent's influence in target country with your own.

Strategy: This card means you should be cautious aout taking India or Pakistan on its own- having at least one neighbour is a better option. For Pakistan you can lock the country completely by taking all 3 neighbours, but in India there is always going to be at least a 1/6 chance of the war working. If the war is sucessful it can be a big swing, particuarly in India. However more often the countries will be vacant (at game start) or locked down, so that the card is of limited use. As USA I have sometimes played this for Mil Ops when I had no other source...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the way the existence of this card pushes players into Afghanistan and Burma and adds a lot of importance to Iran. The card only works half the time at best but when it does it can be devastating to your position in Asia. It is amazing how this one card can hold so much power over me when I play in that area.

I almost always play it for the event if it will succeed on a 5 or better. Even with only a 1 in 6 chance I would play it as a event if I have no other way to get military op points. 2 vp plus a small chance at control of a key battle ground is worth it.

I have seen players play it just for the op points when I had no influence in either country but I don't think this is a good use. Maybe if you are about to lose do to victory points but normally the 2 points is better spent else where.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Chace
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is a fun card! It certainly makes Burma a much more importaint country than it would otherwise be.

Sometimes this card can be a lifesaver for the US if they have no other way to gain military ops. And it can help them break into central Asia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Matthews
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty sure that I have won and lost more games based on a timely roll on Indo-Pakistani War than any other single card in the game. Its one of a few elements (the China card being the other) that keeps Asia from going static.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in an interesting position in a current game. As the US, I'm struggling to find MilOps. USSR controls Pakistan, Iran, and Afghanistan. India is open. I'm certain to play this for the event, as I've got to have the 2 MilOps, but which country will attack which? If India attacks Pakistan I've got a 1/6 shot at 2VP + control of Pakistan. But, if Pakistan attacks India, it's a 1/2 chance of 2VP, but no change in influence. It's turn 2, and the Asia scoring card is already out, so I'm thinking of going for the better shot at 2VP...

In any case, cool card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the situation you describe you only have 1/3 chance of winning a war against India. Even though you are nominally attacking from Pakistan, USSR control of Pakistan still acts as a -1 drm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.