Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've knocked out 4 solo matches this weekend and have to ask :

Anyone won with the Commonwealth yet?

I don't ask this as a dig on the game but as a strategy type opening. As the Brits, I've been horribly crushed once, came close once, and had two other matches stalemate (the CW was not strong enough to win anymore, and the Germans declined to close and fight due to some heavy losses).

When I've done well with the CW is when I've used a stack of infantry and artillery to "shade" the tanks (2 stacks, one hex in between, with armor behind). In some cases it forces the Germans to get stuck in the inf / arty ZOC & take the direct fire artillery hits, while allowing the CW tanks to run up in overrun attacks, before pulling back ASAP. You'll still take hits as the CW player, but the non-barraging fire of the artillery can really damage the PZ IIIs.

I've also done well when focusing on the Afrika Korps historical weakness - the Landsers. Focusing on the AD is an easy choice, but also hitting the other infantry units can suck in the panzers to support / extricate the infantry and seems to be the quickest way to shattering the 15th or 21st PZ Div. Of course, doing this may give those panzer battalions a free run at you.

The last good thing I've been able to do with the CW is to get one South African brigades into the middle of the map and hedgehog, giving the tanks of the 7th Armored a place to try and refit (since they'll need it by the end of day 2).

I've also tried ignoring the Italians and screening them with the Humber recon units, but the Italians can deliver a nasty hit if the Germans get some low rolls (allowing the IT inf into the fight too).

And then there's the wee bit of luck you'll want (afterall the box does promise 2 lucky dice). Just hope for good recovery rolls as the CW player otherwise by Day 4 or so the closest you may get to Tobruk will be the inside view of a POW camp!

---

On the AK side, has anyone tried a pure defensive strategy by the Germans? Just sit back on the high ground and let the CW come on at you? Have not considered it yet as it's too fun to turn the panzers loose, but it may be another valid plan.

Overall a great game. I had planned on stopping after 1-2 plays, but keep getting pulled in by the fast pace of play and the multitude of alternatives to each side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished solo play #5 using all the CW "plans" mentioned above and almost gave the CW their first win. Was at -1 VP (7th AD & NZ Div shattered vs AD and Italians shattered) with the NZ Div outside out a weakly defended Gambut, and two panzer battalions with only 1 step left (losing either would have shattered a panzer division) in positions that were to be attacked. And then rolled a 6 for the CW activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sherry
United States
Great Falls
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think going after the Italians is a risky proposition. If you leave them alone and try to snag the panzer divisions piecemeal, you can get your VPs without losing your forces needlessly on the strong Italian defenses. Tonight I smashed the Ariete and took Gambut only to have the 7th and SA shattered for the loss. It could have worked out a little better but I suspect avoiding the Italian hedgehog may be a better strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I suspect avoiding the Italian hedgehog may be a better strategy.

You may be correct as the only time I've shattered the Italians is when their tanks have been aggressive and moved out from the entrenchments. If that does not happen it seems a bit easier to screen them and take the risk that they may attack out when the main CW forces are bogged down with the Panzer divisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just posted a Session Report with a win by the Commonwealth. I calculated by at least 1 VP but if I count the Landsers and elements of the 15th Division, I do believe I shattered those forces as well and it could have been as much as 2 VP.

However, my opponent was not as acquainted with Victory Point Conditions as I, and am sure that this lack of knowledge affected Game Play.

But I did win with the Commonwealth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.