Popular Tags: [View All]
richard dyrda
United States
Hawthorn Woods
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to make sure I understand some things completely.

If using the suggested 1941 game setup (15.4)....
The allies have a 4 pip infantry unit in Tobruk and units in Western Egypt. The axis have units in Marmarica.
Since Tobruk is within Marmarica, this area is contested and supply can be done for the british as it normally would happen in a contested area via 3.1 (thus use the fleet in the med or atlantic via the cape)? The rule regarding limited supply is only for the Leningrad fortress correct?

I cannot simply attack fleets if I want to correct? I must wait for an Op move (naval combat) or strat move (interdiction).

Assuming no reductions due to strategic bombing, I understand 5.44 to mean if I use 5 SA's I can do 35 strat moves with the germans.

If using the 1941 game setup, do most Axis players keep up the 2 unit western europe "wall" or shift almost all of these to russia and use a SA and 5.44 to shift resources if a western european invasion happens?

Thanks again for your time, still trying to memorize most of these rules.......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick B
United States
Saint Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Couple of Questions (Fortress / Fleet Combat / Strat Mov
Dyrda wrote:

If using the suggested 1941 game setup (15.4)....
The allies have a 4 pip infantry unit in Tobruk and units in Western Egypt. The axis have units in Marmarica.
Since Tobruk is within Marmarica, this area is contested and supply can be done for the british as it normally would happen in a contested area via 3.1 (thus use the fleet in the med or atlantic via the cape)? The rule regarding limited supply is only for the Leningrad fortress correct?

Tobruk is an 'area within an area'. Marmarica is thus not contested, but is instead enemy-controlled, from the Brit POV. Tobruk's forces would receive it's supply from British Fleet Points in the Mediterranean. If there was not enough supply coming in through the Fleet Points (Mediterranean FP's only can supply 2 blocks per FP in starting 1941 scenario, since Axis have Crete and Sicily), then Tobruk, being a fortress, would automatically get 'Limited Supply' at the end of the Allied Game Turn (but would be marked with a OOS chit at the beginning of the game turn if it was determined to be OOS).

Leningrad has a special supply rule that gives it full supply if the Ladoga Swamps are friendly-controlled and supplied themselves.

Quote:
I cannot simply attack fleets if I want to correct? I must wait for an Op move (naval combat) or strat move (interdiction).

You can only attack fleets if they are involved in any operational movement and Retreats by Sea (thru a Special Action). Strategic Movement does NOT allow you to attack the enemy fleet, only the units that are being transported (which is why Strat Movement is safer for your fleets).

The only other way to 'attack' an enemy fleet is to remove EVERY enemy-supplied port in that body of water. Then, during your opponent's turn, he hasn't restored supply to at least one port on the at body of water, all of his fleet points go bye-bye. (The last way to kill an enemy fleet: make that nation surrender )

Quote:
Assuming no reductions due to strategic bombing, I understand 5.44 to mean if I use 5 SA's I can do 35 strat moves with the germans.

Wow. Yep, that's true. Remember, you can include Axis Minor Powers in there as well. But no Italians.

But, keep in mind that if you're trying to move German units across the Mediterranean, you can only move 1 a turn while Vichy France exists, and the number of Italian ground units must exceed the number of German ground units after the move has been made. And that any time a fleet point is used for movement, it gets flipped. If there are only 3 Fleet Points in the Med, then once 3 Axis units have been moved, no more can travel across the Mediterranean that turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard dyrda
United States
Hawthorn Woods
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bignickel wrote:
...(Mediterranean FP's only can supply 2 blocks per FP in starting 1941 scenario, since Axis have Crete and Sicily)....

but the Brits have Malta to counteract the Sicilian loss so I believe it is 3 blocks per FP, correct? 3.33a goes both ways.

thanks for all your other answers. i realize now the some of the answers are better explained in the second edition rules, just downloaded them from gmt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick B
United States
Saint Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dyrda wrote:

but the Brits have Malta to counteract the Sicilian loss so I believe it is 3 blocks per FP, correct? 3.33a goes both ways.

Incorrect. The Brit's possession of Malta does not counteract the loss: it causes the Axis to only supply 2 units per Med. fleet point (normally, it would be 3 per fleet point).

Thus, with Malta under Allied control, Axis is limited to 2 units supplied per Med. Fleet Point. And with Sicily and Crete under Axis control, W Allies limited to 2 units supplied per Med. Fleet Point

(the Allies have something, tho, that that Axis don't: the ability to supply Around the Cape; however, each unit that does that is treated as FOUR units for supply purposes using the Atlantic fleet, and you can quickly run out of supply unless the Americans are in the war helping the Brits build ships)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.