Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
when i first got into board gaming, i was pleasantly overwhelmed with the wealth of material out there. so many games to play, so many rules to read. i would print out dozens of copies and leisurely rifle through them on random nights before i went to bed.

my research began directed by reviews, more importantly personal comments, and most importantly valuable and wordy geekbuddies whose thoughts were divined with a simple click of the analyze button. i'd hear good things, look at some pictures, and fire off free shipping size orders with fairplay and then thoughthammer.

now i'm both content and overcrowded with the amount of games that i own, and am working toward ideals of playing every game i own and only owning games that i truly want to play. even with that in mind, and full color pdf rules waiting to show me everything i want to know about a game i find myself less and less inclined to actually look at them. so it's still impressions and pictures. i barely, if ever, read reviews in their entirety.

i have a lot of games with bgg notifications enabled, and i'm impressed with the prolific amount of reading that is implied when certain users fire off a volley of pre-play and/or pre-ownership rules questions. the most notable user that comes to mind is ekted. how the hell do people keep up that pace for so long?

i'd rather read pdfs than blow paper and toner or ink, but i just can't bring myself to concentrate on rules at a desk. maybe that's where i fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, I just blow the toner and paper...and print anything I am interested in out. then, on the bowl gulp or during free times before bed or at work, I plow through 'em!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Re: i wonder how some people are so steady at pre-reading ru
Kalidor wrote:
then, on the bowl gulp

Heh! I sure hope your boss doesn't find this post.

Back on topic... I get impressed too with people who study a game to death before it is even available. I have done this as well, though - but only for a game I am convinced I will like once I own it, and at that point have likely already pre-ordered the thing. It's nice to be able to play it *as soon* as it arrives! And if play aids are required... it's nice to know that ahead of time as well. That stuff takes time to create, and then to print and assemble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
If a game appeals to me either visually or thematically, or if I am pointed in its direction by someone I trust, then I print out the rules and make a decision then and there if I will buy the game or put it on my want list. I have found a number of good games this way.

My list of games 1-3 I am getting in January came from doing this:
In the Year of the Dragon
Amyitis
The Circle

My choice to buy Taj Mahal was the result of exactly this kind of research. It got me excited about the game before even playing it. Now it is a favorite of mine, my girlfriend's, and a good portion of our gaming club.

I would recommend doing so to anyone who is interested in a game. Oh, and the reviews definitely help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: i wonder how some people are so steady at pre-reading ru
Since I just hit the 360 mark in ownership, I will say this:

I read the rules to the games I buy. That's it. The key is to break out 1 or 2 new games here and there to keep up with playing what you acquire, and reading the rules a short time before you play.

On occasion I might, if after researching a game I became VERY interested, download rules and read them; though this has happened less than a dozen times.

I think over analyzing the rules before you even get a chance to play does nothing for your play of the game. I actually prefer to read through the rules 2-3 times to make sure I know them, then play the game.

I think that if you have a steady stream of games that you are purchasing, that it does become increasingly difficult to keep up with learning your new games, much less playing them. To counteract that, I buy the games that I think will be harder to find, and leave the "still in print" (such as FF and Rio) for a later date, knowing I will be able to find a copy. This lets me stretch things out more financially and chronologically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Some people simply love reading rules for its own sake... I can even think of someone like that right now ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.