Subject: Turn ANY one tile instead of moving a whole row? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
I just bought Amaze-ing Labyrinth and hope to teach some 11 year-olds on a game day. After test playing myself a couple games it seems to me that it might be more fun to have players turn ANY tile instead of shoving a row with a new tile. This would give the player more direct control over their route through the maze. Has anybody tried this, and, if so, did this make the game better or worse?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    I have not tried it, although I will leap to the conclusion that it will vastly simplify the game, and remove two aspects of strategy:

1. Snookering someone as they gain a lead will be impossible while still improving your position -- something that becomes important as you become more experienced with the game.

2. Complete removal of the teleport feature, which can be key to getting out of a jam. It is possible to get yourself quite stuck on one part of the board and the teleportation is often the most effective way to clear the clog.

I also think it will be more limiting to the player as they can only clear one hurdle at a time. Moving a row often creates pretty remarkable opportunities to change your piece's reach. In short I think the change will make the game simpler, and less interesting.

My seven-year-old is quite adept at reading how the maze will be affected by a tile insertion, so don't be too quick to underestimate your eleven-year-olds. If you are still unsure, play-test with real opponents as you will get a better feel for the game. It is one of my few titles that is popular with my wife, who often spits after saying the word "boardgame."

This is a good game as-is. Try the rules as they stand first, and then propose the variant if the kids are losing interest.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bucey
United States
Lancaster
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me also add that my 7 year old is quite capable of manipulating the maze to get where he wants or to screw me up a bit. I would think 11 year olds would be quite capable of picking it up quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deacon
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Love thy fate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a-mazed and dazed by my 8 year old just yesterday. He wins more than I do. blush

I also recommend sticking with the prescribed rules.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fer moros
South Korea
Kwang-Ju
Gwangju
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks! that is good idea to keep under my sleeve:

a-It can come handy either to play with younger kids as you said (let them to be the only ones who can use it),

b- it can also come handy to come out from some sticky situations, where a player has fall behind many turns trying to reach one particular treasure. I know that is against all the rules, but I have played many games with young kids where a player is swallowed by frustration using turn after turn to try to reach a particular treasure without success. Usually what I did was to allow him/her to open an additional card.

Please, bear in mind, that i am not talking about serious games with serious players in here. Just playing Lab with young kids to all have a good time.

Happy games! and Happy NYear 2008!

Fer
SKorea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks for everyone's advice! I will go ahead and try playing it with the kids using the official rules. Thanks for your insights!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.