Silent War» Forums » Rules

Subject: RTB Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B B

Unspecified
msg tools
Hi y'all,

I've been a few weeks into a campaign now and have read several threads and the FAQ, but I'm still not confident that I fully understand Transit/RTB movement, especially in regard to the endurance roll.

Here is an example of what I typically do and what sometimes happens:

For this entire example, assume I have a sub w/ a speed of 2 and that I safely evade all transit events.

Turn 1 - I leave Manila and end in the S. Philippine Sea, flipping my sub unit to the Patrol side.

Turn 2 - I move to the Bismark Sea, via patrol movement (I fear little of transit events this far from Manila because of the few red boxes) and conduct search/combat routines. After getting damaged, I fail the endurance roll. Now, during the transit movement in this SAME turn, I move two OpAreas back to base (while checking for a transit event).

Am I doing this right? The FAQ seems to insinuate that failing an endurance roll could be a good thing when your sub is damaged since the player cannot voluntarily RTB at this point of the turn.

My other RTB questions are . . . must a sub who is RTB head for the nearest base? Similarly, if I can RTB to Manila in the current turn, can I, instead, choose to go to Pearl in two turns? The rules give me the impression that I must go to a base within the current turn, if at all possible. Otherwise, I have a choice.

So then, we have these possibilities for RTB . . . but which ones are correct?:

1) If Manila can be reached in the current turn, but not Pearl, then I MUST go to Manila.
2) If Manila and Pearl can both be reached in the current turn, I have a choice, regardless of distance.
3) As #2 above, but I must go to the closer base.
4) Neither can be reached in the current turn. I have a choice, regardless of distance or # of turns it takes to get there.
5) As #4 above, but I must go to the closer base.
6) As #4 above, but I must go to the one that I can reach in fewer turns.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I just want to make sure I have this right before I develop a bad habit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you asked this question over on ConsimWorld?

http://www.consimworld.com

The game designer supports his game over there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jackson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Quote:
Turn 1 - I leave Manila and end in the S. Philippine Sea, flipping my sub unit to the Patrol side.

Correct, if transit is via the North Philippine Sea.

Quote:
Turn 2 - I move to the Bismark Sea, via patrol movement and conduct search/combat routines. After getting damaged, I fail the endurance roll. Now, during the transit movement in this SAME turn, I move two OpAreas back to base (while checking for a transit event).

Am I doing this right? The FAQ seems to insinuate that failing an endurance roll could be a good thing when your sub is damaged since the player cannot voluntarily RTB at this point of the turn.

Yes, this is right though the sub doesn't reach Manila, ending the turn in the North Philippine Sea.

Quote:
My other RTB questions are . . . must a sub who is RTB head for the nearest base? Similarly, if I can RTB to Manila in the current turn, can I, instead, choose to go to Pearl in two turns? The rules give me the impression that I must go to a base within the current turn, if at all possible. Otherwise, I have a choice.

You choose which base you want to return to. Damage and distance do not matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.