Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone ever tried reducing the availability of the Politics Cards in games with fewer players?

In another thread on the "General" forum for this game, one player bemoaned a lack of tension when he played 3-player games of La Citta. I couldn't help but wonder if the problem isn't caused by the fact that you still have 7 face-up Politics Cards, but only 3 players fighting over them.

The game rules do a good job of reducing the size of the board when there are fewer players, but it seems to me that the pool of resources available to players should also be reduced a bit. This is a scaling problem that many games have--they either add or subtract players to the game without bothering to adjust the pool of resources that is available to them. For example, Alhambra is an awesome game for 2 or 3 players, but when you have 4 or more players fighting over the same bagful of building tiles, the game starts to suck very quickly. Alhambra's claim that you can play it with 2-6 players might be technically true, but in reality the game quickly starts circling the drain with more than four players.

Possible scaling adjustments to try for La Citta:

* Allow only 6 face-up Politics Cards in a 4-player game
* Allow only 5 face-up Politics Cards in a 3-player game
* Allow only 4-face-up Politics Cards in a 2-player game

You could also reduce the availability of building tiles by reducing the number of each type that's available for fewer players, but I have no idea how much these supplies should be lowered.

I haven't tested any of these ideas because it's hard to playtest variants for a 2- or 3-hour game. If they don't work, you've wasted all that time and might have trouble getting that group to play the game with you again! I was just wondering here whether anyone else had tried playing around with this concept...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, my wife and I tried our first 2-player game on New Year's Eve (last night--Happy New Year, all!) and we certainly didn't notice any "lack of tension" over this supposed "glut" of Politics Cards. We were surprised how quickly the game played with just the two of us, too. She spanked me pretty soundly even before I screwed myself by forgetting the rule about not being able to Rich Harvest my way out of trouble in the last year. She had me beat even before I ate that five point penalty, though.

You see the problem here? I'm desperately searching for a variant so I won't have to keep losing to a girl! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote the recent post about "lack of tension." It seems I was wrong - La Citta is a tense game without modifications other than those written in the official rules (reducing board area for fewer players). It's imperative to use the advanced rules. This alone will make the game more exciting and tense. Also... we made the mistake of not adding a citizen with each new market.

I can't really see how reducing the number of politics cards would improve gameplay, since the use of politics cards is largely voluntary and equally open to all players. La Citta doesn't have an auction mechanic - it seems like an auction would make "competition" for cards possible but then the game would no longer be La Citta. The fact is that in La Citta any given card may show up at a more advantageous time for one player under any set of circumstances. Part of the fun is deciding if it's worth taking a card because it's available rather risk losing the opportunity - this can happen even if there are any number of cards available. Tension in La Citta comes from food/money shortages, city positioning (which is much more tense in the advanced game) and stealing population from other players. This will happen regardless of how many politics cards are in play.

There is a variant that allows more frequent shifting of politics cards. We tried the variant and prefer the official rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another delicious bit of tension that revolves around the Politics Cards results from the "deck-churning" decisions you must make throughout the game.

Sure, I could use that Golden Times card, but if I take it, I risk having it replaced by an even better card that my next opponent will get to take. There's nothing quite like adding a single meeple to your city only to have that card replaced by the Cathedral or University that you were really dying to get. Polite opponents will thank you profusely!

In a recent 3-player game, my opponents were both stuck in the awful position where none of the 7 available Politics Cards could do either of them a bit of good. Both of them opted instead to take a blind draw from the card deck and forego their last action for that round of play. They immediately regretted doing so when the next round started and they sat there facing the same awful assortment of Politics Cards.

They avoided churning the deck by taking useless actions so that their evil foe (me!) wouldn't get the advantage of having a more useful card turn up, but that also meant that more useful actions weren't turned up for them, either!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the Politics Cards jammed with "useless" cards in a 2playergame more often than with more players.
With more players chances rise that someone will find a usefull card among them.
I feel there is some automatic regulation in this way and I never felt it nessesary to reduce the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.